Can I move a CEPH disk between nodes?

Stealing some of the pieces from another thread - just went through this myself, figured I'd share what worked 100% - about 20 drives completed so far, zero issues.

IMPORTANT: this assumes DB/WAL are on a single physical drive. If they aren't, you'll have to consolidate them down first, then move it.
(( ceph-volume lvm migrate --osd-id <ID> --osd-fsid <FSID> --from db wal --target <FULL VG PATH> ))

ORIGIN SERVER:

1. Find the values you need to proceed
**. FSID=cat /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-<ID>/fsid
** VG-ID=ls -l /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-<ID>/block | cut -f2 -d">" | cut -f3 -d"/"

2. set OSD out <ID>
3. systemctl stop ceph-osd@<ID>.service
4. ceph-volume lvm deactivate <ID> <FSID>
5. Vgchange -a n <VG-ID>
6. vgexport <VG-ID>

remove disk from server -->
--> input disk into other server

DESTINATION SERVER:
1. Pvscan
2. vgimport <VG-ID>
3. vgchange -a y <VG-ID>
4. ceph-volume lvm activate <ID> <FSID>
5. ceph osd in <ID>
6. ceph osd crush set <ID> <WEIGHT/SIZE> host=<NEWHOST>
7. systemctl status ceph-osd@<ID>.service

credit : https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/osd-move-issue.56932/post-263918
I wanted to thank you for this, the process worked great, except for the part where I messed up and didn't have a manager installed on the destination server yet so step 4 errored out (spitting out "ConfigurationError: Unable to load expected Ceph config at: /etc/ceph/ceph.conf") until I realized that might be necessary.

I stumbled on this as a simpler possible method after trying all of this; does anyone know if it stopped working with newer versions of Proxmox/Ceph or something? Next time I move an OSD I'm gonna try it to see if no one can confirm either way.

Reactions: dlasher

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!