Can I mount existing filled storage to a VM?

stevoAdmin

May 12, 2016
Hi everyone.
Loving Proxmox so far! Not as much of a linux noob but definitely am with Virtualisation and Proxmox.

I have a NTFS RAID array with intel rapid storage. I've managed to mount it using non free packages to Proxmox, and can access existing content (my entire library) through FTP to the proxmox host machine.

I am having trouble wrapping my head around how the proxmox storage model works in regard to physical storage. I have mounted this array as a directory in the proxmox webUI but it shows 0 available and 0 used and won't show anything on the content tab.

Furthermore, when I try to attach this proxmox "directory" that's pointing to the raid to a virtual Debian machine, it only gives me the option to make a new virtual disk with a size specification, whereas I want to access the existing content that was made outside of proxmox.

Is this possible? I have tried searching but can't find anything in exactly my situation. Maybe I'm not using the right keywords. I would really appreciate help on this matter and will post anything diagnostic that you need.

Cheers ;)

Hello!

Is the proxmox machine the NTFS raid host? Or is the NTFS raid array on a dedicated Windows machine? If it is on a dedicated Windows machine, just mount the array directly to the VM via cifs-utils (if a samba share). I am a proxmox newbie too, however I don't believe that Proxmox shares mounted storage with VMs as you are attempting...

Reactions: stevoAdmin
Hello!

Is the proxmox machine the NTFS raid host? Or is the NTFS raid array on a dedicated Windows machine? If it is on a dedicated Windows machine, just mount the array directly to the VM via cifs-utils (if a samba share). I am a proxmox newbie too, however I don't believe that Proxmox shares mounted storage with VMs as you are attempting...
Hi finish06!

Yes, unfortunately it's all on one machine. The Raid array is on a separate drive to the proxmox host however. It was once D: on the windows install that I replaced with proxmox.

You have me thinking though. I could just about SSH into the proxmox hosts IP and set up a samba share there and access that from the VM as you suggest. It would feel a bit messy considering its all on one machine but would definitely get the job done. Thank you for your suggestion! :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!