can I install Proxmox VE over network (tftp/PXE)?

mangoo

Feb 4, 2009
wpkg.org
Is it possible to install Proxmox VE over network (using tftp/PXE)?

If not, what would be the best approach? Launch the server from a tftp-bootable distro, copy Proxmox CD to the HDD, then what...? How should I start the installer?

I have a remote server with a KVM switch connected, no access to the CD-ROM drive.

What you for sure could do it a Debian Etch netinstall over tftp/pxe and then install the .deb files provided by Proxmox. It *should* give you the same result. Haven't tested it myself though.

What you for sure could do it a Debian Etch netinstall over tftp/pxe and then install the .deb files provided by Proxmox. It *should* give you the same result. Haven't tested it myself though.

Is it the only thing which the installer does? Installs Proxmox packages (and perhaps, does some basic network settings etc.)?

Is it the only thing which the installer does? Installs Proxmox packages (and perhaps, does some basic network settings etc.)?

As far as I know, yes. It installs a very basic Etch and deploys the PVE packages. Didn't try it myself though! If the box is on console, why not just try it?

As far as I know, yes. It installs a very basic Etch and deploys the PVE packages. Didn't try it myself though! If the box is on console, why not just try it?

I was thinking of booting off a tftp-capable "live" distro and rsyncing all files from an already installed Proxmox. Plus, installing the bootloader, recreating initrd. Done.

But now as you gave me an alternative, I need to think deep what to choose ;)

I was thinking of booting off a tftp-capable "live" distro and rsyncing all files from an already installed Proxmox. Plus, installing the bootloader, recreating initrd. Done.

But now as you gave me an alternative, I need to think deep what to choose ;)

Pff... you trying to give yourself a hard time there? The PVE .deb's were created by the Proxmox guys themselves, not by users, so one might think you'd end up with the same setup.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!