Can I have "PermitRootLogin no" on /etc/ssh/sshd_config?

devawpz

Sep 21, 2020
I'm trying to secure my machines, and disallow remote root logins.

I tried setting it to no, but when I tried migrating a machine to another node on the cluster, I can't.

Can I have "PermitRootLogin no"?

How about "PermitRootLogin proibit-password"?

I figure some of these would make the installation more secure, but I would like to keep the machines communicating with each other.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, I got some new info too in the meantime. So if I want to have SSH running on port 8887, do I need to change both /etc/ssh/sshd_config and /etc/ssh/ssh_config ? I've seen some examples, but can you point me towards any docs that cover that?

Thanks a lot!

Thanks, I got some new info too in the meantime. So if I want to have SSH running on port 8887, do I need to change both /etc/ssh/sshd_config and /etc/ssh/ssh_config ? I've seen some examples, but can you point me towards any docs that cover that?

Thanks a lot!

you need to change the Port parameter in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

by default it will say #Port 22 (commented). you can uncomment it and change the port

but beware if you are making a cluster this can lead to communication problems between the nodes.

most of the time changing the port is completely unnecessary for security, since you can configure it to use key authentication only.

if you're still worried about people breaking in, i suggest you install fail2ban [0]

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Fail2ban

but beware if you are making a cluster this can lead to communication problems between the nodes.

Thank you, but can you please be clear as to the consequence of changing SSH off of port 22? Will the cluster not work if it's on a different port? Because I've tried to migrate VMs and was unsuccessful, is this the "communication problems" you refer?

So I can't run Proxmox clusters from SSH port different from 22?

Thanks for your input.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!