Can I configure the Proxmox virtual machine to access the VirtualBox virtual network?

anton_tez

Oct 11, 2019
There is a virtual network:
1. Host machine (the one on which Virtualbox itself is running)
2. Debian on VirtualBox (with Proxmox installed on it), essentially a Proxmox server
3. Virtual machine in Proxmox

At the moment, everything responds to each other, except that the Proxmox virtual machine does not ping a PC from the VirtualBox virtual network.

At the moment, the settings are as follows:

1. On the Proxmax server:
source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
auto io
iface io inet loopback

auto enp0s3
iface enp0s3 inet manual
auto enp0s8
iface enp0s8 inet manual
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.56.114
netmask 24
gateway 192.168.56.100
bridge-ports enp0s3
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
bridge-ports enp0s8
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

Proxmox virtual machine settings:
source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
auto io
iface io inet loopback

auto enp0s18
iface enp0s8 inet static
address 192.168.56.118
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.56.114

A linux bridge does not route, it works on layer 2 - so the gateway in your VM is wrong, it should be the same as for your Proxmox server. Could you also post your '/etc/pve/qemu-server/<vmid>.conf'?

If the L2 guest can ping the proxmox host, it already resides in the same layer 2 segment, meaning the issue is probably with VirtualBox. Maybe VBox filters MAC/IP-Addresses, only allowing your host through?

I'd try running tcpdump on various points of your configuration (e.g. tcpdump -i vmbr0 icmp on Proxmox).

A linux bridge does not route, it works on layer 2 - so the gateway in your VM is wrong, it should be the same as for your Proxmox server.
I understand it. But from ip 192.168.56.100 there is no ping. And for this it certainly does not work.

Could you also post your '/etc/pve/qemu-server/<vmid>.conf'?
Screenshot_79.png
If the L2
Not understood. Which PC do you mean?

Maybe VBox filters MAC/IP-Addresses, only allowing your host through?
Yes, I also think so.

I'd try running tcpdump on various points of your configuration (e.g. tcpdump -i vmbr0 icmp on Proxmox).
Ok, I'll try.

Everything worked. The problem was indeed in the VirtualBox settings. In the settings of the virtual network card, it was necessary to enable "Promiscuous Mode".

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!