can i add vm-name into proxmox backup file name or pbs task/datastore contents ?

RolandK

Renowned Member
Mar 5, 2019
i'm curious why proxmox only stores vm id and timestamp in the backup filename (also in pbs), but not the vm name.

this makes things intransparent, because i need extra steps to map a name to a "binary blob" i cannot easily derive the vm name from, especially when the backup is getting archived and later restored from the archive.

is there a way to make the vm-name appear in the pbs dashboard/datastore and/or is there a way to encode the vm name in the vzdump backup filename?

i'm curious why proxmox only stores vm id and timestamp in the backup filename (also in pbs), but not the vm name.

this makes things intransparent, because i need extra steps to map a name to a "binary blob" i cannot easily derive the vm name from, especially when the backup is getting archived and later restored from the archive.

is there a way to make the vm-name appear in the pbs dashboard/datastore and/or is there a way to encode the vm name in the vzdump backup filename?
with proxmox-backup-client you can name them using option --backup-id
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/naming-backups-from-proxmox-backup-client.76471/

Hi, don't want create new thread, so I'll add it here - it's related and someone might find it usefull...

This script executed in /mnt/datastore/datastorename/vm will name backups based on VM names. Obviously needs to be run manually (ssh/teminal), everytime new VM exist and back up.

Bash:
#!/bin/bash

for i in `ls -d ./*/*/` ; do dd if=$i/qemu-server.conf.blob bs=1 skip=12 2>/dev/null | zstdcat | grep name > $i/../notes ; d
one

Screenshot from 2022-11-02 12-07-51.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!