[SOLVED] Can access proxmox web interface from Ubuntu/Firefox but not Windows 10/various browsers

tuathan

May 23, 2020
My management node was configured with FQDN/static IP and all other network settings correct and have tried to access the web interface but cannot access from two other (tried so far) Windows 10 systems on same network (using either Firefox / Chrome / Internet Explorer and Edge).

Using 'curl' from other Linux (Ubuntu or Debian) systems on the network show the web interface is there and I can access the proxmox web interface from a Ubuntu system / Firefox on same network no issues (accepting the security cert).

Interestingly using 'nmap' from the same Ubuntu system as above does not show port 8006 as open but I can access the web interface from curl and Firefox as I mentioned.

Pinging the proxmox node works fine from all other systems (Windows and Linux).

I used https://{IP ADDRESS}:8006/ in all cases to try to access the proxmox web interface.

I'm not sure if it's something on my network somehow handling Window and Linux traffic/ports differently or the other thing I've seen mentioned is a potential issue related to IPv6... I didn't mess around with any of that just followed the default proxmox install procedure. Any ideas? Thanks!

what is the error message you get?

In edge:

This site is not secure

This might mean that someone’s trying to fool you or steal any info you send to the server. You should close this site immediately.

Details

Your PC doesn’t trust this website’s security certificate.

Error Code: DLG_FLAGS_INVALID_CA

Go on to the webpage (Not recommended)

If I click on "Go on to the webpage" I get an auto-generated page from my institute:

Forbidden

The page or resource you are trying to access is restricted via a security measure on the remote server. You do not have permission to access the page or resource.
The remote server replied with the following message:

sophos web protection

In Chrome:

Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from 10.140.79.120 (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards). Learn more
NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

Help improve Chrome security by sending URLs of some pages that you visit, limited system information and some page content to Google. Privacy Policy

If I click on "Advanced" and then "Proceed to 10.140.79.120 (unsafe)"

Forbidden
The page or resource you are trying to access is restricted via a security measure on the remote server. You do not have permission to access the page or resource.
The remote server replied with the following message:

sophos web protection

I connect to the internet using an enterprise proxy. It turns out on the Windows 10 system I had forgotten to add a Proxy exception via: "Network & Internet" > "Proxy" > "Use the proxy server except for addresses that start with ...." with the cluster name hostnames (urls). e.g. "...;*<pve_hostname>*"

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!