Can a ProxMox Template be converted into an ISO image?

AmpNode

Nov 10, 2018
Hi,

I have been wondering for awhile, and haven't yet found any information on that matter, if a template saved in Pmox can be made into an ISO image that I can then download/transfer and try to use elsewhere?

For example:
I have a windows 2012 ISO that I have installed, updated, configured and I have saved it as a template so that I can clone it and make VMs a bit quicker for customers.
However, I am now working with a secondary Pmox node and I would like to just make the original template an ISO so I can upload that to the second node and not have to go through the several hour process of installing, updating and configuring a whole new windows server. OMG it's so annoying!

If anyone can provide insight into this, I'd love to be able to this same thing with my linux templates as well if possible.

Thank you

Just backup your template with the builtin tool, transfer the .lzo file to the dump directory of the storage dedicated to the second node (il not shared by both nodes) and restore it from the second node.
Your template will then be available on the second node too.

Reactions: Ramo026 and aPollO
That makes no sense for me. You want to convert it to ISO just for be able to upload it trough the WebGUI? ISO is NOT a Format for Templates.

What Format is you template now? QCOW2?
Shouldn't be too hard to follow... I made a template from my current original ISO, updated it, need to make a new ISO so i don't need to run the updates and installs again on a new node.

Just backup your template with the builtin tool, transfer the .lzo file to the dump directory of the storage dedicated to the second node (il not shared by both nodes) and restore it from the second node.
Your template will then be available on the second node too.
So you're saying to create a backup and that automatically makes it an ISO? Or no? Again, I'm new to this so the more detail you can provide me the better. Pretend I'm an idiot.

Do you have installed windows in a virtual machine from a ISO File? You know a ISO File is like a CD. It's just a Image of a optical disk like a CD or DVD.
An ISO File contains setup files for running the windows installation procedure. After you have run these setup procedure you get a working windows in a virtual machine. You cannot revert this back to a installable ISO file. Thats not the way how it works!

Either i totally missunderstand what you want to do or you have no idea what you are doing. I'm not sure :D

If you want to create a Windows Setup ISO with integrated updates it is possible. But the way to get these ISO is totally diffrent from what you are doing.
There is a process called slipstreaming. You can read more about for example here https://lifehacker.com/how-to-slipstream-windows-updates-into-your-installatio-1562956432 or just google for something like "Integrate updates into windows iso"
You have to integrate the updates directly into the installation image. You can not install windows first and then make a setup from this installation again.

Cheers :p

Reactions: AmpNode
Do you have installed windows in a virtual machine from a ISO File? You know a ISO File is like a CD. It's just a Image of a optical disk like a CD or DVD.
An ISO File contains setup files for running the windows installation procedure. After you have run these setup procedure you get a working windows in a virtual machine. You cannot revert this back to a installable ISO file. Thats not the way how it works!

Either i totally missunderstand what you want to do or you have no idea what you are doing. I'm not sure :D

If you want to create a Windows Setup ISO with integrated updates it is possible. But the way to get these ISO is totally diffrent from what you are doing.
There is a process called slipstreaming. You can read more about for example here https://lifehacker.com/how-to-slipstream-windows-updates-into-your-installatio-1562956432 or just google for something like "Integrate updates into windows iso"
You have to integrate the updates directly into the installation image. You can not install windows first and then make a setup from this installation again.

Cheers :p
Thank you for that reply.
I will look at the concept of slipstreaming.
I'm not sure it's what I'm after but I'll check.

I'm not looking to revert back necessarily but rather make a whole new cd/dvd/iso image.
So, for example, if I use my windows server 2012 iso and create a new vm and install it and configure it (all of which i've done), and I then proceed to run and install of the current windows updates, install google chrome, etc, etc, I am trying to make a brand new image from all of that so I never have to do it again on a brand new node and vm setup.
I'm hoping to do this with windows, centos, ubuntu and debian ultimately.
It will save a LOT of time.

Then you can do it like Belokan described. Just make a Backup of your desired state or just copy the VM. You also can create a template if you want to create linked clones.
A linked clone use less space because only the differences to the template will be written to the disk.
You can read baout it here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/VM_Templates_and_Clones

A backup is more "transportable". And you can move it to other proxmox hosts. Just download the backup and upload it to the new proxmox host. But if you are using a cluster you can just use shared storage and there is no need to copy all data to all cluster members.

In fact i think creating an ISO file is NOT what you want to do.

I am not at all familiar with making/transporting backups for vms as of right now...
I use winscp for ftp
Do I just go to the directory of the vm and copy the entire vm folder to my desktop?

If you want to create the backup on the local storage on the node you can copy the vzdump* file with WinSCP to your local computer. For uploading it to the new host you can use the upload-button in the WebGUI of proxmox.
You also can mount a cifs (windows share) storage and backup to this storage if you want. So you don't need to copy it trough ssh/scp.

I have never heard of or used a cifs before so without google at this moment I have no idea what that is (yet)....
Is there a directory for the vzdump? Is that a command or a file reference?
Again, thanks for the assistance thus far.

CIFS stands for Common Internet File System and is a extended Version of the SMB protocol. JUst for keep the words simple: it is the windows network share protocol.
So you can create a windows share from any windows machine an add this as target storage for your backups.

Yes there is a special target for this. If you use default local storage it should be /var/lib/vz/dump/. If you have configured another storage then you have to look there for a dump directory.

CIFS stands for Common Internet File System and is a extended Version of the SMB protocol. JUst for keep the words simple: it is the windows network share protocol.
So you can create a windows share from any windows machine an add this as target storage for your backups.

Yes there is a special target for this. If you use default local storage it should be /var/lib/vz/dump/. If you have configured another storage then you have to look there for a dump directory.
There doesn't appear to anything currently available in that directory.
The ISO images uploaded are in /var/lib/vz/templates/iso, but that's all.

Are you saying to use windows share to share data between two windows machines, two nodes or to transfer data?

There doesn't appear to anything currently available in that directory.
The ISO images uploaded are in /var/lib/vz/templates/iso, but that's all.

If you have not created a backup of any virtual machine yet you can't find one ;) You first have to create a backup if you want to find one.

I saying that it is possible to create backups directly on a windows share. There is no need to create them in the proxmox host and then copy them with WinSCP. But if it is not easier for you then forget it.

If you have not created a backup of any virtual machine yet you can't find one ;) You first have to create a backup if you want to find one.

I saying that it is possible to create backups directly on a windows share. There is no need to create them in the proxmox host and then copy them with WinSCP. But if it is not easier for you then forget it.
it is all entirely new to me to be honest so one thing isn't necessarily easier at this moment in time
i've never personally made a backup of a system before (apart from copying files to my personal external but that isn't the same as an actual backup file)
so doing either one properly is open to me

Ok, thanks.
And then you're saying just transfer that 'dump' so i have it locally? Then how do i load it into a new node? i assume to transfer to the new webgui but not sure where because im not sure how it'd show up on the new node

You can upload ab backup by clicking the local storage in the tree on the left side in the WebGUI. Then you can select "content" wich maybe list you some ISOs when you already have uploaded some.
There is an upload button. Pritty simpel. I'm sure you will find it.

Yup, I know how to upload but thought that was only for isos
So I'm assuming a backup is a full file and not parts, like a folder?

A Backup is a single file. Not more.

Maybe it is not possible to upload trough the WebGUI. I never tried it. But if it appears to be not possible then just use WinSCP and copy on the same location as you has found the original file.

Reactions: AmpNode
A Backup is a single file. Not more.

Maybe it is not possible to upload trough the WebGUI. I never tried it. But if it appears to be not possible then just use WinSCP and copy on the same location as you has found the original file.
ok thanks for the feedback
i will look into how to do the backup and see if it works towards another node
appreciate the replies
would still like to make isos to be honest but this is a start.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!