By CLI, restore quickly a backup when i have different disks in destination

cesarpk

Mar 31, 2012
This message has been re-edited

Hi to all

Since some time ago, i want to do this question:

My scenery:
For better performance, i have VMs with virtual disks in different RAID volumes (it is the same to say in different hard disks to effects of this question)

The actual problem:
With the current capacity of PVE-GUI (qmrestore included) to make restaurations, if i have VMs with virtual disks in several hard disks or in different RAID volumes, then, i can not do quickly a restore of a VM in his differents storages.

What i ask:
Is possible to use by means of CLI some command for restore each virtual disk where i want to restore it directly? ie, without to have that restore all the virtual disks in a single hard disk for after to do manually a copy where finally they should be located, and if is possible, make the restore with other format of image?

Notes:
- This same question also is for the file of configuration of the VM.
- The restoration should be applied from GZIP and LZO files (the standards of PVE).
- I know that maybe i will need to edit manually the VM configuration (this isn't a problem)

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me with this doubt.

Best regards
Cesar

Last edited:
Many thanks Dietmar and symmcom.
I appreciate very much your answers...:)

And let me to do other question (plan of contingencies):
If this server breaks down, and i want to do a restoration in other server that also have several storages, but his storages has differents names, can i do the restore directly where I want to have the images of disks stored, and if is possible, with other format of image disk? (LVM-block of disk, files as be raw or qcow2).

Best regards
Cesar

That is not implemented. But you can restore to one storage, then use move disk...

Oh, ok, many thanks again for your reply.

Other question, are there plans to add this feature to qmrestore?

(moreover, i think that the team of QEMU will have more interest in add the support to vzdump and qmrestore if with qmrestore is possible restore each image of disk of the backup in the different storages where finally they should be restored, and for each image of disk, restore in any image disk format that you want. It would as be a universal utility for any use cases).

In anyway, many thanks for do of "PVE", it that it is now, and that continue reaping more successes.

Best regards,
Cesar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!