Bundle network cards

MainSEL

Nov 17, 2020
Hello!

I have a question. I have a server that has 4 network interfaces, I would like to bundle them. I have already tried several times to bundle the cards, but without success. My problem was always that when I started a VM that did not get an IP. Is it even possible to bundle all network cards. I would like to have all VMs keep the same IP. At the moment I only use one network interface.

Code:
Web: xxx.xxx.xxx.24
VM1: xxx.xxx.xxx.89
VM2: xxx.xxx.xxx.90

Can someone make me a suitable configuration or help me with it.

Hello!

Thank you for the quick answer.

Unfortunately my switch does not support "LACP". It is a normal switch without management. I had rather thought about a load distribution and reliability. There are 3 different ones that do this. Mode 0, 2, 4 which is the best.

Mode 4 is LACP, so it does not work

Last edited:
I guess in your setup, only 2 (active-backup) will work.
Round Robin is great as long the counterpart (switch) also provides it.
The problem with RR is that you can't guarantee that the package comes in the correct order.
And some application gets problem with out of order packages.

Okay.
That means I could bundle my 4 lan cards into two. So 1 and 2; 3 and 4, and then the load is divided between Bond0 and Bond1. I could then give different VMs different lan cards. For example VM1 Bond0 and VM2 Bond1. If I would do it like this the Vms get the IP from the DHCP when they restart. And could you make me a configuration?

This setup is possible and can be easy achieved over the GUI.
Just go on the Node -> Network -> and add a Linux Bond.

Maybe you can help me. So I go to the network settings and create a Linux bond. What do I have to enter now. Do I have to specify an IPv4 or a gateway or leave it blank. For slaves I specify my 2 network cards (enp3s0f0 and enp3s0f1). For my vmbr0 I specify bond0 at bridge ports. Do I have to leave the Ipv4 in my bridge? I have also specified a gateway in the bridge. With my VMs I don't have to change anything. Will the VMs get the IPv4 from the gateway after reboot? If I create a second bonding I do the same. So a Bond1 and a bridge or?

Thank you very much for your efforts.

ich habe es jetzt gemacht. Hier ist meine Konfig. Diese funktioniert auch sehr gut.
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp3s0f0 inet manual

iface enp3s0f1 inet manual

iface enp4s0f0 inet manual

iface enp4s0f1 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
        bond-slaves enp3s0f1 enp4s0f0 enp4s0f1
        bond-miimon 100
        bond-mode balance-alb

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/24
        gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        bridge-ports enp3s0f0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
        bridge-ports bond0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

Many thanks for your help

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!