Bulk shutdown of VM and LXC or reboot of node hangs on LXC

rvdmeer

May 11, 2020
Netherlands
During my weekly maintenance window I saw that my proxmox node did not restart because a LXC container is preventing it from rebooting. When I individually shutdown the container this works without a problem. Both from the GUI and from within the container itself. However, If i try to bulk shutdown all virtual machines and containers it hangs on the task of shutting down the container.

Running: 5.4.41-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.4.41-1 (Fri, 15 May 2020 15:06:08 +0200) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Are others also experiencing this?

hi,

what is running in the container?

it's possible that a graceful shutdown of it is not possible if there's something stopping it (like an nfs share for example) and as a result it times out..

Some bash scripting is running in the container. Nothing fancy.

When I choose to shutdown that single container through the menu it will shutdown without a problem.
The problem seems to be related to the bulk shutdown action from the GUI or on reboot of the node when the bulk shutdown is initiated.

can you send a log of a failed bulk shutdown attempt? journalctl and /var/log/syslog are likely to say something which can help us debug the issue.. allso the log of the failed task (in the tasklog on the GUI, double click to the failed task)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!