Bulk Hibernate?

harmonyp

Nov 26, 2020
My node needs to be rebooted how can I bulk Hibernate (suspend to disk) lots of VMs?

On a side note are there any risk of data loss with hibernation? or any known issues

Hi,
My node needs to be rebooted how can I bulk Hibernate (suspend to disk) lots of VMs?
AFAIK, there is no such feature at the moment, you'd need to do it with a script. Feel free to create a feature request for it: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/
On a side note are there any risk of data loss with hibernation? or any known issues
None currently known. Under the hood it's essentially the same mechanism as taking a snapshot with RAM and rolling back.

Reactions: harmonyp
I have two different machines both using ZFS I can't figure out why one of them instantly hibernates and restores but my other machine takes 30-60 seconds. Any ideas? Both node VMs are NVMe and same disk settings (SCSI etc)

Or maybe a way to speed it up? precreate snapshot maybe

Last edited:
I have two different machines both using ZFS I can't figure out why one of them instantly hibernates and restores but my other machine takes 30-60 seconds. Any ideas? Both node VMs are NVMe and same disk settings (SCSI etc)

Or maybe a way to speed it up? precreate snapshot maybe
Can you post the VM configs, i.e. qm config <ID>, and the hibernation task logs for both of them? The output of pveversion -v for context would also be helpful.

Hi,
such feature request has been posted in bug tracker for almost 8 years with no progress

https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=804
the feature is not requested that often and (partially because of that) not high-priority at the moment. Such features can take a while to get around to. Note that it's about bulk hibernation "only" since 2019, before it was about bulk pause. You can CC yourself to the feature request to indicate that there is interest and I think that will also send a mail to the assignee.

the feature is not requested that often and (partially because of that) not high-priority at the moment. Such features can take a while to get around to.
I know it's quite old thread, and I haven't commented at that moment, but I keep find myself from time to time in the point when this bulk hibernation option would be very handy to have.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!