Bug: VMID doesn't increment after manual creation

andrewg

Aug 22, 2008
So I just followed the steps here: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE to create a KVM machine from a VMWare vmdk, that process worked just fine. I created the new KVM and it got VMID 104, went through the steps and it is working fine with my linux guest.
However, when I go to create a new VM guest now, it keeps defaulting to using VMID 104. I created a new VM and set the VMID as 105 manually, that worked, but did not change the default from 104. So somehow it lost count of the system created VMIDs. It is easy to work around, but probably an easy fix as well. Let me know if you need any diag data...

So I just followed the steps here: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE to create a KVM machine from a VMWare vmdk, that process worked just fine. I created the new KVM and it got VMID 104, went through the steps and it is working fine with my linux guest.
However, when I go to create a new VM guest now, it keeps defaulting to using VMID 104. I created a new VM and set the VMID as 105 manually, that worked, but did not change the default from 104. So somehow it lost count of the system created VMIDs. It is easy to work around, but probably an easy fix as well. Let me know if you need any diag data...

thanks for reporting, its a known bug in the current release and its already fixed (but not released) - so just wait for the next release.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!