[Bug] Unable to run specific software in a Windows VM

SunBlack

Jun 22, 2017
Not sure where to report bugs, so I'm doing it here. With Proxmox 4.4 & 5.0b2 it is not possible to run "Capturing Reality"* in a Windows VM (tried it with Win10, 8.1 and 7). If I start this software the licence windows need ~30min until it appears. So I'm not able to activate a free trial licence. With Xen 7.2 and VirtualBox 5.1 I don't have any issue with this software, so it seems to be a virtualization bug in Proxmox.

*Sorry no link to the software website, because I'm not allowed to post a URL as new user :(

I tried two different settings:
First try (installed virtio driver during installtion):
- HDD: VirtioIO
- Network: VirtioIO
- Processor: default (kvm64)
- Memory: Dynamic Size

Second try (without additional driver):
- HDD: IDE/SATA
- Network: Realtek
- Processor: Ivy Bridge/host (host = Xeon 2630v2)
- Memory: Fixed

No combination worked :(

With Xen 7.2 and VirtualBox 5.1 I don't have any issue with this software

Xen uses the same abstraction layer as KVM does (which runs in Proxmox VE), so this is very strange.

Yet I can relate to the problem. I'm also not able to start it. The dialog appears instantly, but it keeps flickering and won't show. I also tried different settings for display and connected via RDP. One can see that the application runs with 100% CPU (one core) and does not finish starting up.

I was able to get the dialog not to show If I run the application as Administator, as normal user the dialog appears with flickering.

I still don't think that this is a Proxmox VE problem per se, because it is a third-party software running on a Windows OS. There is no one that can or will support that but Capturing Reality itself.

I'm curious, why do you want to virtualise the software? Without GPU power, it'll be a very tedious task for the software.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!