Bug to reboot VM OPNsense in UEFI

BenjaMwaye

Sep 13, 2021
Hi everybody,

Since I have reinstalled my proxmox in v7 (Declan 11), I've got a problem with VMs in UEFI, especially the OPNsense VM.
If I want to reboot the VM with the web interface of OPNsense, or when the VM reboot alone after an update, the VM hangs with console indicate "reboot" in last or if it begin to reboot it hangs on " the display was not initialize yet". I must stop the VM and launch it again and it work again.

The second case (display is not initialize yet) appear to other VM too but not all the time.

This problem doesn't exist with VM in bios mode. And I haven't this problem with proxmox 6 (but I've got another problems (network speed problem and hardware problem), so it's why I reinstalled in v7.

I've read somewhere that it could be a problem with UEFI from the host, but why it wasn't present with the older version of proxmox (and debian)

If someone have any idea, it would be great.
Thanks in advance for your help.

PS : sorry for my bad English, I hope my problem is understandable.

Best regards,
Benjam

I'm repeating here, but we have simmilar issues - https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/windows-vm-freeze-on-start-after-reboot.99489/#post-430170 . But I didnt get any answer for this issue. I decided to convert GTP to MBR and voala - it solve the issue with those VMs. So I think it is proxmox bug.
I think it started with 7.0.13 . As I'm new in proxmox, I dont know where to find release notes with changes or bugfixes. What is sad, that we are migrating our production to proxmox from vmware HA, and now I dont know if it was good idea. Definetely we will have to buy subscriptions after migration of VMs.

Hi and thanks for your answer.

Sorry if my post is similar to other post.

So, I will go back, in few days, to bios mode if necessary until this "bug" was solved by proxmox gurus developer :)

Before I'll try to change some others settings in the VM (such as CPU which is "host" actually) to see if it change something.
And will follow your post to see if solution is found.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Best regards.
Benjam

Hi,

Adding an EFI disk to the VM fixed the issue, at least on my nodes. UEFI VMs used to boot without this disk, but it seems to be required now, probably because of improved support for secure boot.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!