[BUG] Proxmox 6.1 AMD64 Ryzen 3600X edac kernel errors with ECC ram

Ian Mono

Feb 25, 2020
I'm running a AMD Ryzen 3600X with 64GB of ECC Ram on a ASRockRack X470D4U2-2T motherboard and I've noticed that the kernel is throwing some EDAC 64 errors.

Here is the output of the dmesg command:
[ 14.882566] EDAC amd64: Node 0: DRAM ECC enabled.
[ 14.882579] EDAC amd64: F17h detected (node 0).
[ 14.882595] EDAC amd64: Error: F0 not found, device 0x1460 (broken BIOS?)
[ 14.882609] EDAC amd64: Error: Error probing instance: 0

Running the 'edac-util' command shows this:
# edac-util -v
edac-util: Error: No memory controller data found.

It looks like EDAC AMD64 isn't working properly with the current shipped kernel that comes with Proxmox 6.1. I've tried to compile the latest kernel but I'm unable to boot from it (can't figure out how setup grub properly on proxmox. There isn't much documentation on this or help in the forums. Anyone have some tips? ;-))

Any chance the developers of proxmox will backport the Kernel 5.4. patches for AMD64 EDAC to the current 5.3 kernel?

Anyone else running into this?

Thanks! :)

I've have the same problem with my 3600 on X470D4U, I think we need to wait.
However EDAC reporting is not supported on both of these motherboards.

I've have the same problem with my 3600 on X470D4U, I think we need to wait.
However EDAC reporting is not supported on both of these motherboards.

According to this topic https://forums.unraid.net/bug-repor...-ecc-error-with-ryzen-3700x-and-ecc-ram-r651/ this will be fixed in the newer 5.4 kernel. It would be awesome if Proxmox would backport the patches to the 5.3 kernel or release a more up to date kernel to solve this problem.

The reason why this is a problem is because ZFS recommends using ECC ram. My hardware combination supports this and so does Linux. Proxmox just needs to catch up on this. *hint hint* ;-)

In fact ECC works, EDAC only concern the reporting ability.
Great to hear that! So the reporting of EDAC doesn't work but the ECC does work? How do I check this exactly? I just want to be 100% sure :)

So EDAC is just a reporting utility and has nothing todo with the working of ECC memory and the kernel?

This is not only for Ryzen. Also this present on EPYC. PVE kernel need backport support Zen 2 CPU's

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!