BUG? PROBLEM: ProxMox 6.0 - Intel Infiniband Unknown Type - unknown != eth

KelvinJones

Jan 15, 2019
Hi all, first time posting here.

I have Intel QLE7342 QDR (dual port) Infiniband cards installed in 7 servers. They appear as ib0/ib1 in PVE 5.x and work fine. In PVE 6.0 they also work fine but they appear with a traditional NIC naming convention: ibs1 and ibs1d1, rather than the generic ib0 and ib1. This name naturally varies from server to server as per the naming convention based on slots and ports.

The problem appears to be that since they are NOT named ib0 and ib1, PVE 6.0 doesn't recognize them as a manageable NIC in the GUI. That's not really a problem, we can manage the INTERFACES config file manually, but it may interfere with the automation we are planning with WHMCS. I don't know if it will interfere, I haven't tested, but it might, and besides, the real reason I'm posting is I'd like IB NIC configuration to work normally like it did on PVE 5.x.

Has anyone else run into this?
Is this a bug?
Is there a way to alias the real name to ib0 and ib1 and trick the GUI?

Thanks in advance for any feedback! Love this community.

I've attached screen snips for clarity.

Attachments

• pve6.0-net-IB.PNG
    pve6.0-net-IB.PNG
    58 KB · Views: 10
  • pve6.0-net-IB-error.PNG
    pve6.0-net-IB-error.PNG
    67.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
since ibs1 ibs2 etc. are valid names for infiniband nics, we should recognize them as such
our regex just tests for ib\d+ at the moment, can you open a bug report on https://bugzilla.proxmox.com ? this way we can track this easier

Where is this regex happening?
I would like to fix it myself.

If not possible would be great to have this quicky in enterprise repo.
Have many servers where after updating to 6.x i can´t manage network interfaces due infinband re-naming with ibsx.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!