BTRFS

Nowadays dell gives option to separate operating system on NVMe with raid they call it boss
Makes no sense for PVE, you don't need the speed for the OS. Once booted, there is not a lot of I/O requirements

I want to for client to buy c/m and use it as they want
Why on earth would you not want to run on RAID1 in such a setup for a customer.

As I said, I'd go with a multi-tier-setup with ZFS as described in #4.

No problem with RAID 1 BUT I want to avoid CPU and RAM high usage and save these resources for high density virtualization.
as I understand from you is that I use NVMe and SSD for metadata and mount storage in HDD but how can I arrange like that?

No problem with RAID 1 BUT I want to avoid CPU and RAM high usage and save these resources for high density virtualization.
Why should RAID1 have more CPU or RAM usage?

as I understand from you is that I use NVMe and SSD for metadata and mount storage in HDD but how can I arrange like that?
As I said: based on your hardware, I'd build two pools: SSD and HDD with metadata and SLOG in mirrored NVMe partitions. Hopefully, the NVMe is very fast and everything is "real" enterprise hardware.

Why should RAID1 have more CPU or RAM usage?

As I said: based on your hardware, I'd build two pools: SSD and HDD with metadata and SLOG in mirrored NVMe partitions. Hopefully, the NVMe is very fast and everything is "real" enterprise hardware.
Not raid 1 which will consum ram and cpu but I am afraid zfs may do
Please note I buy hardware from dell themselves

Besides the RAID 0 stupidity (seriously!), why use RAID and then BRTFS? BTRFS has built-in raid functionality (mirroring, striping and more).
I said BTRFS itself already has raid 0

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/BTRFS
  • RAID0, RAID1 and RAID10

When you install using the Proxmox VE installer, you can choose BTRFS for the root file system. You need to select the RAID type at installation time:
RAID0Also called “striping”. The capacity of such volume is the sum of the capacities of all disks. But RAID0 does not add any redundancy, so the failure of a single drive makes the volume unusable.
RAID1Also called “mirroring”. Data is written identically to all disks. This mode requires at least 2 disks with the same size. The resulting capacity is that of a single disk.
RAID10A combination of RAID0 and RAID1. Requires at least 4 disks.

ssd used raid 10 and now it's dead in 1 month because raid kills ssd.

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-02 at 22.02.57.jpeg

and the result raid 10 Do not recommend do not use.

we use professional devices, our experience is very advanced

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-15 at 03.34.27.jpeg

Last edited:
In this case I can mix all sizes and types of disks right?
I mean it will not matter HDD, SSD, I will select raid 0 btrfs while installations,right?

ssd used raid 10 and now it's dead in 1 month because raid kills ssd.
Sorry, RAID does not kill SSDs. Writing in general kills cheap SSDs like the ones in your image. Please use only and exclusively enterprise SSDs, do not use consumer or prosumer SSDs, they wear too quickly. RAID10 does not write so much, just twice (as RAID1 implies), RAID5 will write more, depending on the number of disks in your RAID5 disk set.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!