Btrfs on hardware based RAID 10 - is it okay?

I'm looking for advice, links to documentation, suggestions, etc., with regards to running Btrfs over hardware based RAID 10 on HP Proliant servers.

The docs say this is fine with LVM (of course), but says that one will experience data corruption with ZFS over hardware RAID 10 (of the type I'm equipped with on a stock dl380 Proliant).

Other than the release notes saying that Btrfs is now supported, I can find no other documentation, so I'm kinda in a holding pattern until I'm able to make an informed decision on deploying either Btrfs or LVM/Ext4 under this scenario with ProxmoxVE v6.0.

As per the documentation:
Do not use ZFS on top of a hardware RAID controller which has its own cache management. ZFS needs to communicate directly with the disks. An HBA adapter or something like an LSI controller flashed in “IT” mode is more appropriate.

I'd recommend against putting raid-capable file systems on hardware raid.
It'll still detect errors, but it will not be able to recover from them. You'd be gaining very little.
And given the issues people have been facing with ZFS in that regard I'm generally wary of such setups.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!