[SOLVED] BSOD: System thread exception not handled

Thomas Plant

Mar 28, 2018
Hello all,

we have a big problem importing Windows 2016/2019 VMs from XenServer. We get the bluescreen with the error above, Safe Mode gives the same error.

At the moment using Proxmox with the non-enterprise repository, fully updated. Tested on running a Xeon Gold 5120 and an old Operton 6128. Both give the same error. Did try to remove NICs, changing the CPU Type, display type but all did not result in a successful boot.

Does anybody have an idea how to resolve?

Thanks,
Thomas

By deleting the xen*.* files under Windows\system32 and windows\system32\drivers got rid of the error above, but now I get a 'boot device not found'. As it seems win2019 does not suppot ide/sata drives. Tried to install the virtio-scsi drivers on the running vm and reexporting it, but this did not help. Anybody an idea?

If you've installed the VirtIO-SCSI drivers, and your virtual machine is configured to use SCSI, the one issue I've noticed is that sometimes when you add SCSI to a VM in Proxmox, it adds an LSI controller, which Windows also doesn't have drivers for. This setting used to be under Options for the VM, but is now listed under Hardware.

If that is set to VirtIO SCSI and it's still not working, give us a screenshot of your VM hardware configuration, and/or the contents of the actual VM configuration file in /etc/pve/qemu-server/???.conf. Those could help solve this.

Solved the problem :)

Had to remove some registry entries as mentioned at paragraph 7 in this Citrix article: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX225911. Remove only Valuename 'UpperFilters' with 'XENFILT' as data, i removed all of the key which resulted in strange behaviour in the device manager.

After this Win2019 booted with IDE drives. So MS Docs I found are wrong stating that win 2019 does not support ide drives. Uninstalled the now not present devices left by Xen, then added the Virtio drivers and we are up and running at full speed.

Greetings,
Thomas

So, I just had to go through this - but AFTER the image had been taken - so I could only boot into recovery mode...

1) You can remove the Xen drivers via Recovery mode using something like:
Code:
X:\> dism /Image:D:\ /Get-Drivers

Then look for the Xen drivers - they'll be listed as something like oem6.inf etc etc. Remove them with:
Code:
X:\> dism /Image:D:\ /Remove-Driver /Driver:oem6.inf

Repeat this for all of the entries in Get-Drivers that mention Xen.

2) Remove the 'xenfilt' entries from the registry:
Code:
X:\> regedit

Click on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", then File -> Load Hive. Browse to D:\Windows\System32\config\ and load SYSTEM. Call the import 'DSYSTEM'.

Run a search for 'xenfilt' and remove all options that have the key name of 'UpperFilters'.

At the end of this, you'll see a number of Xen entries for VIF, SCSI etc etc - you can delete these entire keys.

Save the modified hive via File -> Unload Hive.

3) You can optionally install the KVM VirtIO drivers using the Add-Driver method to dism as documented here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ism-driver-servicing-command-line-options-s14

It's a PITA to figure out from scratch - so hopefully, the above helps someone else to get through what took me the best part of a day to figure out.

In most cases, this error occurs because the graphics card driver is outdated. You need to upgrade the driver of your graphics card to the latest version. An outdated, corrupted or incompatible driver can get your system into display this blue screen. Outdated drivers and overclocking softwares, or a recently overclocked tweak are also known to cause this BSOD. If a recently installed program or a driver caused this issue; then the first approach should be to uninstall them since they are simply not compatible, keep track of updates and attempt reinstall when a patch or update to the driver has been released.

In order to fix this issue, the computer must be restarted in safe mode. Once after booting the computer in Safe Mode, you have to uninstall the incompatible device driver from the Device Manager, and then download and install the latest drivers from the manufacturer’s website. If you are lucky, the “system_thread_exception_not_handled” error code will have a file name attached to it, indicating which graphic driver is causing the problem. If you update or repair this graphic driver, you will be able to resolve the error completely.

So, I just had to go through this - but AFTER the image had been taken - so I could only boot into recovery mode...

Code:

Then look for the Xen drivers - they'll be listed as something like oem6.inf etc etc. Remove them with:
Code:

Code:

Click on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", then File -> Load Hive. Browse to D:\Windows\System32\config\ and load SYSTEM. Call the import 'DSYSTEM'.

Run a search for 'xenfilt' and remove all options that have the key name of 'UpperFilters'.

At the end of this, you'll see a number of Xen entries for VIF, SCSI etc etc - you can delete these entire keys.

3) You can optionally install the KVM VirtIO drivers using the Add-Driver method to dism as documented here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ism-driver-servicing-command-line-options-s14

It's a PITA to figure out from scratch - so hopefully, the above helps someone else to get through what took me the best part of a day to figure out.
Thank You very much.
I hate windows, but this one was very important.
Regards.

RoggaR

Reactions: CRCinAU

Code:

Code:

Code:

Thanks for figuring that out, I have a bunch of VMs to move from Xen to Proxmox and this saved a massive amount of time

Reactions: CRCinAU

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!