Broadcom BCM57504 (100G) bnxt_en TX timeout and NIC reset on Proxmox 8.1.5 — while BCM57414 (25G) works fine on same host

I have a similar issue with the following hardware:
  • Mainboard: Supermicro H12SSL-NT
  • NIC: Broadcom BCM57416 NetXtreme-E 10GBase-T Ethernet
Since I updated to the latest kernel, 7.0.14-20-pve, it happened two times:
  • First occurrence was 1.5 hours after booting
    and
  • second occurrence was 1 hour after booting.

Before that I had 7.0.14-15-pve and with that it never happened.

I reverted to 7.0.14-15-pve now and so far the issue did not reoccur. I will post an update if that changes.

Attached is an excerpt of my system log from the time when it happened and my /etc/network/interfaces file.
 

Attachments

I have 6 servers with a BCM57504 (237.1.148.0) which is a quad sfp28 card, firmware is from the latest HPE SSP for the HPE DL360 G10

I upgraded 3 of the servers to `7.0.14-19-pve` on 27th September 2026, and no seen any network issues.

Today I upgraded one of other 3 servers to `7.0.14-20-pve` within 10 minutes usually quicker, the transmits starts to timeout and it falls of the network

1790941441660.png

I then installed `7.0.14-19-pve` and the problem stopped, not had this issue at all prior to kernel update `7.0.14-20-pve` has proxmox installed on these hosts for months, but `7.0.14-19-pve` has been stable for hours now

I'm guessing my issue is caused by one of the CVE fixes, but I could be wrong.
- CVE-2026-92495: RDMA/bnxt_re: Clear VM_MAYWRITE on DBR/toggle page mmap
- CVE-2026-90101: bnxt_en: Fix call to hardware monitoring event handler

I have a test host that has 1gbit realtek nics using r8169 and that's not having issues on `7.0.14-20-pve`
 
We built a test-kernel with bnxt_en changes reverted - see:
for more details

We'd appreciate feedback if it resolves the issue
Thanks!
 
  • Like
Reactions: d147
We built a test-kernel with bnxt_en changes reverted - see:
for more details

We'd appreciate feedback if it resolves the issue
Thanks!
Hi, do you have a signed `pve-signed` version, I only see a template deb file in there
 
We built a test-kernel with bnxt_en changes reverted - see:
for more details

We'd appreciate feedback if it resolves the issue
Thanks!
1790954326734.png

Same is happening on Kernel 7.0.14-22
 
Last edited: