Bridge vs bond (new user)

senseivita

Sep 1, 2021
senseivita.com
I'm trying out Proxmox VE on a couple of hosts to learn about it (and maybe switch from vSphere). In the network setup there's the vmbr interface as expected — I skimmed the docs beforehand — where the address I gave on the setup is set. In it's properties, the "VLAN aware" checkbox suggests this is a Linux DSA switch.

I'm fairly new to DSA but being so down-level I figured it would minimize downtime in the future having it there already on my Linux systems, plus I learned (from Mikrotik's docs) that there's a fuller feature set than otherwise, such as spanning tree. Most of these Linux systems are virtualized and have only one (v)NIC though, a very fast VMXNET3 interface whose backplane is handled by vSphere and I only need to split the VLANs from a single port client-side. On the other side all vSphere uplinks of a virtual switch or virtual distributed switch have some sort of load balancing.

But what Linux switch bridge without a balancing scheme, what would happen exactly when several connection between it an a physical switch is done? Isn't that like ECMP? Or a just broadcast storm?

The documentation (Proxmox's) recommends LACP, which I'm all on board with, however; for that I think I need to use the LACP bond as the sole port of the DSA bridge, before I do that, I'm wondering if there's more to switches that would allow balancing interfaces directly.

This had crossed my mind a few times already outside of Proxmox, but as I said, I'm on a comfortable vSphere/vSAN environment, so no pressure...until I noticed "ZFS clusters", and "Ceph", and "ZFS on iSCSI", and "Open vSwitch".

I'd love if you could offer a little insight on bridge vs bond (in regards to load balancing/aggregation), please. Thanks!

Never mind, I found exactly what I was referring to in the documentation.
Another possibility it to use the bond directly as bridge port.This can be used to make the guest network fault-tolerant.

Example: Use a bond as bridge port
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

iface eno2 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
bond-slaves eno1 eno2
bond-miimon 100
bond-mode 802.3ad
bond-xmit-hash-policy layer2+3

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address  10.10.10.2/24
gateway  10.10.10.1
bridge-ports bond0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

I think that kills the chances of direct interface balancing by a bridge. Hopefully not.

Thanks anyway. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!