bridge 'vmbr0' - unable to find bridge port (500)

cegha04

Sep 22, 2018
Hello guys, I'm having an issue after a recent update to my Proxmox server. I couldn't tell you what version it was on previously prior to the update, but it had been a long time since it was updated apparently because my networking is toasted & I can't figure out how to fix it.

"bridge 'vmbr0' - unable to find bridge port 'enp7s0.3' (500)"

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-ve-5-2-6-unable-to-find-bridge-port-vmbr0-2-500.46203/

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/promox-official-vlan-method.24065/#post-121566

There are the only 2 threads I have came across with this issue, neither of which is helping me at all.

First, like the 2nd thread is asking. What is the "official" way of setting VLANs? Because apparently this is all stemming from what I thought was "best practice" has now been completely done away with, is no longer supported, & now i'm having to manually mess with network interface config files even though the Proxmox team has always been adamant about managing network through web UI, but yet, they've made it where it's completely broken. Like why can I not at least delete a problematic bridge? Whatever has changed completely makes the web UI worthless to fix this issue.

No idea if I'm understanding the new method right, but it seems you should build a SINGLE vmbr interface making it "VLAN aware" & then assigning this bridge to ALL VMs & telling each VM which VLAN traffic it should receive. I understand that fairly straight forward & I could do that if I could keep my Proxmox web UI interface from going down.

I keep the Proxmox GUI on a separate dedicated NIC to prevent it from ever having a problem. This is the main thing I can not figure out. There is no VM that I would assign an interface to and then be able to tell it which VLAN. How I have it set right now I can access my web UI. I have tried just about every change I can to that interface to try to access web UI & nothing I do will make it come back up EXCEPT how I have it currently configured, which then complains about being unable to find the bridge port & I can't fix or add any other interfaces until I get past this.

Please explain, better than these 2 other threads, as I'm sure other people have had this happen, as to why bridge_ports is no longer a proper/allowed/accepted way to configure VLANs

Code:
# network interface settings; autogenerated
# Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what
# you're doing.
#
# If you want to manage part of the network configuration manually,
# please utilize the 'source' or 'source-directory' directives to do
# so.
# PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT its network
# configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of
# the PVE managed interfaces into external files!

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp6s0 inet manual

iface enp7s0 inet manual

iface eno1 inet manual

iface eno2 inet manual

iface eno3 inet manual

iface eno4 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
    slaves eno1 eno2 eno3 eno4
    bond_miimon 100
    bond_mode 802.3ad
    bond_xmit_hash_policy layer2

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address  192.168.3.7
    netmask  255.255.255.0
    gateway  192.168.3.1
    bridge_ports enp7s0.3
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0
#VLAN 3 - Management Interface

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet manual
    bridge_ports bond0
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0
#VLAN 2 - AP Management

auto vmbr9
iface vmbr9 inet manual
    bridge_ports bond0.9
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0
#VLAN 9 - Salt Master

auto vmbr10
iface vmbr10 inet manual
    bridge_ports bond0.10
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0
#VLAN 10 - Docker

auto vmbr12
iface vmbr12 inet manual
    bridge_ports bond0.12
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0
#VLAN 12 - Certbot/WebServer/Proxy

auto vmbr8
iface vmbr8 inet manual
    bridge_ports bond0.8
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0
#VLAN 8 - Domain Controller

auto vmbr13
iface vmbr13 inet manual
    bridge_ports bond0.13
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0
#VLAN 13 - Diablo 2

auto vmbr255
iface vmbr255 inet manual
    bridge_ports bond0.255
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0
#VLAN 255 - Misc

auto vmbr22
iface vmbr22 inet manual
    bridge_ports bond0.22
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0
#VLAN 22 - PiHole

auto vmbr14
iface vmbr14 inet manual
    bridge_ports bond0.14
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0
#VLAN 14 - NAS Jails

Switch is a Cisco C3750, the Proxmox management interface is a simple switchport access vlan3 setting. pfSense handles VLANs by router-on-a-stick config.

Edit: Wow, epic fail by me. Last thing I didn't check is what killed me. So, originally getting Proxmox Web UI working I ran into issues. All my other management ports for remote management stuff I always set switchport access vlan x. Due to the networking with Proxmox I had to change the Proxmox port to a trunk port to tag vlan3 to make it work. So of course I just thought about that & went to my switch to check it. It was set as a trunk port. Changing it to a switchport for vlan3 & enabling vlan aware option now allows my web UI to work.

Last edited:
if you use vlan aware bridge, you can simply create a vmbrX.Y tagged interface for your management ip (and keep a trunk on cisco)

Then for vms, simply use vlan tag option in vm configuration.

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0.5
iface vmbr0.5 inet static
       address  10.10.10.2
       netmask  255.255.255.0
       gateway  10.10.10.1

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
       bridge_ports eno1
       bridge_stp off
       bridge_fd 0
       bridge_vlan_aware yes

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!