Bridge, lost connection to web on debian

ozzi91

Mar 12, 2019
Hello!

I am fresh member of proxmox, i just installed it on laptop over debian with cinamon on. I just cannot boot succesfully install of proxmox but it is not a main problem here.

I connected to my wifi (no ethernet) by NetworkManager but i read out it is not supported through proxmox so I disable it and I made changes in /etc/network/interfaces and this file looks like:

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto wlo1
iface wlo1 inet static
wpa-ssid mywifissid
wpa-psk myssidpassowrd
address 192.168.100.6
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.100.1

No matter how i create bridge, by gui, by interfaces after restart i lost connection to the internet by my laptop. Could you post me a working bridge? I just want to put it in my interfaces and forget about it. I just lost a few days to try any configuration but they arent working. I just want ot have acces to internet from my laptop and any vm i create.

BTW i dont know what eno1 is. Just post me a working one here i will try it and come with results. I can do whatever u want.

Thanks in advance

No matter how i create bridge, by gui, by interfaces after restart i lost connection to the internet by my laptop. Could you post me a working bridge? I just want to put it in my interfaces and forget about it. I just lost a few days to try any configuration but they arent working. I just want ot have acces to internet from my laptop and any vm i create.

BTW i dont know what eno1 is. Just post me a working one here i will try it and come with results. I can do whatever u want.

Important to know: WiFi cannot be bridged.

eno1 is you cable-network NIC (probably you don't use it at the moment and maybe not at all).

Define a new bridge without any physical port, a private address (e.g. 10.10.10.1) and assign the virtual NICs from your VMs and Containers to it.

Can be done via WEB GUI.

For accessing from VMs and containers to internet you have then to route via NAT, specify the route in VMs and containers e.g. as follows:

Code:
route add -net default gw 10.10.10.1

and define NAT service in the host
Code:
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o wlo1 -j MASQUERADE

This is my working config, but the problem is i need to froward every single port on host which i want use in VM. It is not big problem, but little anoying :)

# network interface settings; autogenerated
# Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what
# you're doing.
#
# If you want to manage parts of the network configuration manually,
# please utilize the 'source' or 'source-directory' directives to do
# so.
# PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT read its network
# configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of
# the PVE managed interfaces into external files!

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlo1
#real IP address
iface wlo1 inet static
wpa-ssid ssidname
wpa-psk issidpassword
address 192.168.100.6
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.100.1

auto vmbr0
#private sub network
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 10.10.10.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
bridge_ports none
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
post-up iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s '10.10.10.0/24' -o wlo1 -j MASQUERADE
post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s '10.10.10.0/24' -o wlo1 -j MASQUERADE

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!