Breaking down

chrisanzalone007

Jul 15, 2017
So i'm a hardcore Hyper-V guy by profession. Moved to a new job (local ISP) which uses KVM. I've been using KVM in my home setup using LVM LV's for the VM disk. (Switched from QCOW2 due to performance reasons)

I really do love KVM. I'm finding linux to be more of a "do what I've told you to do" kind of story versus the microsoft strategy which has tainted my view on software engineers :)

Well - i'm trying to find a happy medium. KVM is very stable and feature rich, but it seems like I need some programming experience on top of it all to really make it sing.

So here I am - in the proxmox forums :)

I have the newest version of proxmox installed (v5) and im trying to figure out how to import my KVM LVM LV disk(s)... I thought it was going to be super duper easy due to the fact Proxmox is based on KVM but im having a real hard time finding an easy way to do it.

I have 1TB of data - and I DO NOT want to migrate/recreate it. Is it possible to do this?

If not - I'm seriously thinking about moving to the Hyper-V Free OS (free being the keyword) due to the super duper easy replication and tons of supported host level backup software with the ability to do block level incrementals.

Start shooting! I'm so confused on the best solution here. My #1 concern is recovering from a DR scenario.

Thanks!

The key is the "magic" at heart to find the volumes in the storage. You need to rename them to import. Normally, they are named as follows:

Code:
VG:
+ vm-100-disk-1
+ vm-101-disk-1
+ vm-101-disk-2

and so on. Only if they're named in such a fashion, they'll be recognized. You also need to convert your previous VM settings (e.g. vom libvirtd's xml) to the PVE format. Best would be to first create a new VM with a default disk, change settings according to previous configuration, then delete the logical volume by hand on the disk and rename the old one to the name of the just deleted one.

I'd test this with a copy of a small VM (create a new lv and copy the contents from another) just to test the process while not destroying any data.

The wiki does not state much here, but it should be straight forward and much less work than Hyper-V:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE#KVM_to_Proxmox_VE_.28KVM.29

Thank you so much! This worked beautifully!

-Made a new VM on *any* VG that had storage with the intended VM name/settings.
-used lvrename to rename my old LV disk to vm-100-disk-1
-manually edit the 100.conf file to point toward the correct LV

Reconfigured the NIC - fully up and running!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!