Brand New Install = Browser 404

Proxpox

Jan 10, 2016
I was referred to KVM by a coworker who said I should check it out. Further research says "Try Proxmox, it rocks" OK fine.

Download the ISO (proxmox-ve_4.1-2f9650d4-21.iso) and install. Cool beans.

Install goes fine. Nothing seems amiss. Set up root, password, all goes well.

Server reboots, console shows up, including the IP address and port. Great!

Type it into my browser... Nada. Tried Chrome, Firefox, Opera and IE. All of them the same - basically 404.

This is totally new to me - I have NO idea where to start. I know general Linux stuff, have quite a few Ubuntu, Mint and CentOS VMs running, but my specialty is Windows (sorry) so my troubleshooting is probably nil right now.

Would appreciate any help. I've already run things like ifconfig to double check the IP address, etc.

The system, if it helps:
i7 920, Asus P6T, 24GB RAM, several HDDs (the OS installed on a Raptor 150GB) and I'm using the onboard LAN at the moment.

Really want to get it working tonight - if I need to roll back versions or something, let me know and I'll happily do so - I really want to give the Hypervisor a try based on all the info I've been hearing lately.

Thanks for your patience...

OK, I realize it's late on the weekend, but no answer means I'm nuking the server and giving up. Maybe when you guys get the config ironed out and working I'll try it again. What a shame. It's not a wonder that Hyper-V and ESXi are doing so much better.

Even if you don't know Linux, if you have even the faintest grasp of computing in general there is a lot more you should have been able to do. Ping the IP address listed to make sure it responds to a ping. Try to SSH into the box, see if that works. You should also realize that if you are getting a 404, that means trying different browsers will have zero bearing on improving your odds. Make sure you don't have firewalls in the way that might block traffic on 8006, make sure you are using https, not http.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!