BR_PORT_BITS - limit of bridges

Alibek

Jan 13, 2017
Hi!

Linux kernel have default hardcoded parameter BR_PORT_BITS = 10. This param limit max bridges to 1024 (2^10 = 1024).
In some cases need increase this param - for example qty containers over 1024 - big lxc containers with nested dockers containers.

I know BR_PORT_BITS limit is inspired by limitation of STP protocol, but i think this limit not is valid for current real cases (for example I use 'bridge_stp off' on all pve-hosts, and STP control is assigned to the switches).
Moving on openvswitch doesn't solve problem with dockers in lxc.

I think the limit of BR_PORTS_BITS needs replace from hardcoded to manage by sysctl
Proxmox team, how about made this in pve-kernels?

Last edited:
Please increase BR_PORT_BITS in pve kernel. It is must have with Nested containers.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!