Booting Proxmox 6.4 from Internal USB on HP Microserver Gen8

FernandoT

Oct 10, 2021
Hi Everybody,

I have been running Proxmox for more the a year now on my HPE Microserver Gen10 Plus and it is working great!
I Installed the OS on a 500GB SSD running on on of the USB 3.X ports of the GEN10 Plus and the four internaldrives are passed trough to a VM running a NAS.
Then I share the storage through NFS to all VM's and other machines etc.

Now I want to do something similar on my HP Microserver Gen8 but that has proven to be challenging.

I am able to boot and run from an HD on de ODD bay, but because I want to pass the controller to a VM, that is not a good option because when the VM starts Proxmox hangs as the VM is competing for the controller which has the drive with the OS on the same controller.
What I would like to do is run the OS/PROXMOX on a USB SSD on the internal USB port of the GEN8 and pass the controller with all drives including the one in the ODD bay to the VM, then install something like Truenas and use it to serve NFS shares to ProxMox etc. like I do with my GEN10 PLUS.
The plan was to install a bootloader on the internal SD slot and then have the OS boot from the internal USB port with the USB SSD containing PROXMOX on it.
But cant get Proxmox to boot from the USB. I managed to start it with Clover, but something is wrong. I get a PROXMOX prompt and I can login but nothing is loaded and not all volumes seem to be mounted. Also Proxmox seems to boot way too fast.
Clover only shows a weird character like a 6 and does nothing until I press F3, enter and space. (not sure which one is working but pressing the 3 a couple of times seems to do the trick).
I feel like I am close but cant figure out why clover is not booting the OS correctly. It looks like it is not mounting the volumes.

Anyway, hoping someone can point me in the right direction on how to solve this.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!