boot stuck, no message, no login

sugoidogo

Sep 11, 2021
apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place. I'm not sure what's happening or how to diagnose this but my server is hanging after spitting out the usual boot messages. There's no login prompt even if I switch to another tty and I can't access it or any vms remotely. It will boot into recovery mode but from there I don't really know what to do. My first thought is to track down the unit that is hanging but I don't know where to start for that. My next thought was to backup all my ct and vm and do a fresh install and restore, but vzdump isn't working in recovery mode, I'm guessing it's not supposed to. How can I go about either diagnosing the issue or backing up my system?

Also, is there any built in support for automatic daily backups? I obviously don't have access to the UI right now but I don't see any documentation about it on the backup and restore wiki page.

Last edited:
My next thought was to backup all my ct and vm and do a fresh install and restore, but vzdump isn't working in recovery mode, I'm guessing it's not supposed to.
i don't see why it shouldn't work. what error messages do you get ?

How can I go about either diagnosing the issue or backing up my system?
i'd check the persistent log (journal/syslog) to see what may stop the system from booting

Also, is there any built in support for automatic daily backups? I obviously don't have access to the UI right now but I don't see any documentation about it on the backup and restore wiki page.
you can set up schedules for automatic guest backup, but not for the host itself

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!