[SOLVED] boot failure with "mdadm: no devices listed in conf file" error after upgrade to 7.1.8 and kernel 5.13.19.2

Roger Simpson

Jan 1, 2018
Hi all,

I have performed an upgrade on a single host running 7.1.5 to go to 7.1.8.
As part of that upgrade there was also a kernel upgrade from 5.11.22.7 to 5.13.19.2.
After rebooting to that new kernel, I faced a boot failure related to mdadm with the message looking like is shown on the picture below (not mine but just showing the exact same error message):
1639174473851.png

After catching the boot sequence, I selected the kernel 5.11.22.7 and the boot was successful.

The system is running on a virtual drive from mdadm over 3 physical drives.

Could somebody provide some guidance on what to check prior to upgrading to 5.13? I have no idea why the upgrade affected mdadm so fundamentally.

Last edited:
Answering myself, it looks like my boot partition is too small due to left over kernel versions and the update did not properly complete.
I did some clean up and I could restart with the new kernel.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!