Boot drive, LVM, ZFS question

Chieflewus

Aug 23, 2023
I’m very new to Proxmox coming from Unraid. I’m a little confused even after researching LVM, LVM thin and my current install.

I’m wanting to run eight 6 TB HDD’s for storage in a truenas VM. I also have two 2 TB nvme’s that I have attempted to use in a raid1 config for my boot drive and I’m also wanting to use as VM storage.

The first time I installed I left all settings to default but I thought I had messed up after watching a tutorial so I tried again. Thinking I should restrict the hard drive size of the boot folder to leave room for provisioning a spot for say VM’s on the nvme I put in 100 gb as the boot hard disk size. Now I’ve got a 100 gb boot partition it seems but I cannot provision any other partitions on the nvme… atleast that I can figure out.

Should I have restricted it to 100 gb the second install? Should I re install and leave the full 2 tb available. Or what would be the best install scenario in my situation?

I’ve tried to research before coming to the forum but that only left me slightly more confused

The first time I installed I left all settings to default but I thought I had messed up after watching a tutorial so I tried again. Thinking I should restrict the hard drive size of the boot folder to leave room for provisioning a spot for say VM’s on the nvme I put in 100 gb as the boot hard disk size. Now I’ve got a 100 gb boot partition it seems but I cannot provision any other partitions on the nvme… atleast that I can figure out.
By default the same disk will be used for the PVE system, storing files (ISOs etc) and storing VM disks. Thats why you got two storages "local" and "local-lvm" or "local-zfs". Die first one is oart of the root filesystems and for storing files. The latter one is for storing VMs/LXCs.
In case you are using LVM and not ZFS you will have to decide when installing how much space you want for files and how much for VMs/LXCs.
So no point not to use the full disk (unless you want swap when using ZFS).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!