bonding eth0 eth1 in PVE 2.x

nate

Mar 15, 2011
How do you bond in PVE 2.0 (round robin would be fine). Do you use the GUI to do this or configure via files? Whats the procedure for no VLAN nothing complicated, just 2 nics eth0 and eth1 on PVE 2.x install?

Thanks!

From what I understand it would be like this...

1) bond0 consists of slaves eth0 and eth1
then
2) vmbr0 consists of bond0

done.
Am I right? anyone?

In theory that is how it should work. I am not trying to hijack this thread; I just want to add that I too am having some issue with bonding. I am using the GUI.
Every time I set it up as you described, using anything other than active-backup, I can no longer access my Proxmox system. Perhaps there is another way?

I think I got mine to work yesterday using:

Set bond0 ; ports/slaves = eth0 eth1 , IP xx.xx.xx.100 Subnet mask xx.xx.xx.0 gateway xx.xx.xx.1

Set vmbr0; ports/slaves = bond0 , IP <same as above(bond0)> subnet <same as above (bond0)> , leave gateway address null.

I don't know why vmbr0 needs an IP? But it seems like it does or it wont work. If someone knows that would be great to know why? And if this looks right. Its easy once you knwo what to do but seems impossible when learning.. thanks to sgtfoo for pointing me in right direction.

I had problems with bonding because I had 2 ips configured. this is the correct interfaces file for bonding eth0 and eth1. Just dropping a note here if other are having same issue. thanks to all.

# network interface settings
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
slaves eth0 eth1
bond_miimon 100
bond_mode balance-alb

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address x.x.223.1xx
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway x.x.223.1
bridge_ports bond0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!