Bond and Management IP.. I'm confusing cause coming from vmware..

Onitgroup

Sep 20, 2018
Hi everyone,
first experience in PRXMOX; I come from vmware..

I have a DELL server with 2 network adapters.
I would like to get:
- use all network cards for both management and VMs (and not "lose" a card for management).
- manage 2 VLANs (default and VLAN2 for VOIP..)
Questions:
1 - The only solution is through a Bond, setting the management IP on the Bond or on the bridge vmbr?
2 - If YES, this will imply the configuration of LACP on the switch side, right?
3 - Setting the type of Bond balance-rr or balance-xor, what kind of configuration must be set on the switch side (HP Switch) ?
4 - If I set VLANs at the vm guest, in the bridge vmbr I have to check "VLAN aware", correct?

The doubts are caused by the habit in vmware in which the network cards are all managed together in vSwitch (management and VM Guest) on which then create the "VM Network" for the VLANs.

Thanks in advance

>>1 - The only solution is through a Bond, setting the management IP on the Bond or on the bridge vmbr?
if an interface is in a bridge, you need to setup ip on the bridge

>>2 - If YES, this will imply the configuration of LACP on the switch side, right?
if you choose lacp for bond on proxmox, yes, you need lacp on your switch

>>3 - Setting the type of Bond balance-rr or balance-xor, what kind of configuration must be set on the switch side (HP Switch) ?
no configuration

>>4 - If I set VLANs at the vm guest, in the bridge vmbr I have to check "VLAN aware", correct?
It'll work with or without vlan aware.

without vlan aware, proxmox will create tag on your physical interface, and new brides

bond0-->vmbr0
bond0.X-->vmbr0vX

with vlan aware,you have only
bond0-->vmbr0

and vlan tag are set on vmbr0 ports directly (like a real switch)

if you need to set your management ip in a vlan, you can:

1)unaware

iface vmbr0 inet manual
bridge_port bond0

iface bond0.x inet static
address ...

2) aware

iface vmbr0 inet manual
bridge_port bond0

iface vmbr0.x
address ....

Reactions: HE_Cole

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!