bnx2 Can't load firmware file

c0mputerking

Oct 5, 2011
Have purchased a Dell R410 with broadcom netextreme II nework cards in it for a total of 4 ethernet ports.

Needing a custom partition setup, i decieded to use Debian squeeze 6.0.4 net install disk and then install proxmox 2 after.

However the standard squeeze disk did not detect my network cards so i had to use the "non free netinst disk" this correctly identified my network cards got debian squeeze 6.0.4 amd64 going so i began the proxmox install.

Got the proxmox kernel installed but i get an error on bootup and have no internet when using proxmox kernel.
bxn2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx-mips-09-6.2.1a.fw"

I also get some additional information in dmesg there is more but without connectivity it is hard to add here.

bnx2: 0000.01.00.0 PCI INT A disabled
bnx2: probe of 0000.01.00.0 failed with error -2
alloc irq-desc for 48 on node -1
alloc kstat_irqs on node -1
alloc irq-2-iommu on node -1
<snip>

I have read several older posts about this but nothing pertaining to proxmox 2. I did read one post that suggested i remove the bnx2-firmware file which i did, but alas it did not work.

PS the standard debian kernel has networking

I have only installed the pve kernel so far, as when i reboot I do not have network access to install the rest of the pve packages. Therefore i do not have the pveversion command avliable yet. I suppose i could boot with the regular kernel to install the rest of the pve packages?? if it would help.

used this command to install the kernel as i am following the instructions on the wiki http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Squeeze

# aptitude install pve-kernel-2.6.32-6-pve

Since while using the pve kernel i have no network cards i rebooted into the regular debian kernel to run the aptitude install pve-firmware. It suggested i remove bnx2-firmware which i did.

I rebooted back into the proxmox kernel and still get warnings same as above post. Intresting that when i boot back into the regular debian kernel i still have internet and get no warnings about the bnx2 card on bootup

Got the proxmox kernel installed but i get an error on bootup and have no internet when using proxmox kernel.
bxn2: Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx-mips-09-6.2.1a.fw"

Strange, the file is called '/lib/firmware/bnx2/bnx2-mips-06-6.2.1.fw' - you should have that file installed.

What is the output of (when running the pve kernel):

# modinfo bnx2|grep mips

firmware: bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1a.fwfirmware: bnx2/bnx2-mips-06-6.2.1.fw
When installing squeeze, the installer asks if you want to load the missing firmware from external storage (USB Stick). If you bypass that, the firmware has to be loaded manually. It's a pain to do later. My advice is the reinstall and load the firmware from a USB stick. I have done this on IBM servers many times and on a Dell 2950. Worked every time.

As stated i used the debian squeeze 6.0.4 amd64 non-free-netinstall cdrom which i believe includes the firmware for the broadcom card. Using the debian squeeze 6.0.4 amd64 non-free-netinstall cdrom I do not get asked for external media the cdrom seems to contain what is needed and apon completion i have a fully functional debian with networking.

It is not until i install the pve kernel that i have networking issues. So i do not think a reinstall with usb stick will help but i could be wrong.

In case you missed it Dietmar, also should there be 2?

firmware: bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1a.fw
firmware: bnx2/bnx2-mips-06-6.2.1.fw

In case you missed it Dietmar, also should there be 2?

firmware: bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1a.fw
firmware: bnx2/bnx2-mips-06-6.2.1.fw

Yes. So I am quite sure that this kernel does not produce "Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx-mips-09-6.2.1a.fw".

Maybe you boot the wrong kernel? Anybody else see that issue?

a
Yes. So I am quite sure that this kernel does not produce "Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx-mips-09-6.2.1a.fw".

Maybe you boot the wrong kernel? Anybody else see that issue?

Yes I believe it is the correct kernel uname -a is producing
Linux sun 2.6.32-6-pve #1 SMP Monday Dec 19 10:15:23

Last edited:
OK, what kernel do you have exactly: '2.6.32-6-pve' or '2.6.32-6-over'

What is the origin of that kernel named '2.6.32-6-over'?

pve

Over was an auto correct typo caused by my phone that is why I edited it out

Out kernel does not even contain the string 'bnx-mips-09-6.2.1a.fw' - maybe that was a typo too? Does it really show this message, or is the file called 'bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1a.fw'?'

bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1a.fw

sorry have to write everything down and type it i manually guess i am way to used to cut and paste

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!