[TUTORIAL] Blog post about installing Proxmox VE 6.2 on OVH's SoYouStart

Thanks for sharing your experience! - Maybe you could set the 'TUTORIAL' prefix on the Thread (click on the 3 dots '...' on top - then edit thread and select the prefix)

Hi @Not_Oles ,

It was a plesure to read both tutorials. Very good explanations, like a good teacher. Maybe only one small observation regard ssh. You so not need to change ssh/port tcp 22. you can block tcp/22 from Internet, but you could redirect what comming from Internet to pmx host on let say port 2222 to ssh/tcp 22.

Congratulation!

So I've seen that OVH has template for Proxmox but I've never used it. The server in your tutorial and much like mine has Software RAID not Hardware RAID. As far as I've read Proxmox does not support software raid and if you're using anything important for Proxmox I'd probably want to stick with the supported solutions. Because of this I use the IPMI feature of OVH and just mount the latest ISO from my local computer and then go with installation.

Hi @catbodi Thanks for flagging this important point about software RAID being unsupported by Proxmox!

If we check the Proxmox wiki at https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Software_RAID , it seems to say that "unsupported" means not tested by Proxmox. The wiki also says that software RAID is "still used by experienced users."

The OVH installer has a checkbox to install on only the first hard disk without software RAID. Installing without RAID is what was done in part one of the tutorial at https://lowendspirit.com/installing-proxmox-ve-6-2-at-soyoustart .

I wonder what are the reasons why Proxmox chooses not to test software RAID?

Best wishes and kindest regards!

I wonder what are the reasons why Proxmox chooses not to test software RAID?

We support a software based raid solutions, ZFS. mdraid is nothing what we want to recommend regarding data security.

Thank you very much Not_Oles for the blog post.

Seems strange in my SoYouStart I can't choose Proxmox 6.2 I only have the 5 :(

I could get it if I create a new template but in the template we can't chose to remove the raid and use all the space.

I'll maybe post to the SoYouStart forum.

I can confirm, isn't in the list because isn't supported for this server in soyoustart.

That's sad because they choose to not let people install it so you are forced to take a higher tier.

Anyway, I have installed Proxmox 5, successfuly upgraded to 6 but can't access to the 2 other disks :(
When I installed Proxmox 5, even if I choose Raid 0 I only see the space of my first disk (2000000MB) and check or uncheck the box doesn't change anything.

Really strange.

isn't supported for this server in soyoustart.

Hi ganon!

Which server configuration are you using? Which datacenter?

I am using SYS-LE-1 Server - Intel Xeon D-1521 - 32GB DDR4 ECC 2133MHz - 2x 2To HDD SATA Soft RAID in Montreal BHS datacenter. Proxmox VE 6 is supported via the autoinstaller and it seems to work fine for my configuration in BHS at the present time.

Serveur E3-SAT-1-32 - Xeon E3-1245v2 (4c/8th) - 32GB DDR3 1333 MHz - SoftRaid 3x2To SATA in France RBX.

I ended by just installing Proxmox 5 in raid 0 with 1 disk => upgrade to Proxmox 6 via console => configure storage by console => and the rest is pretty standard (adding directory/mnt point and configuring purpose of each one)

Reactions: Not_Oles

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!