blocked Mailaddressformats

pluckyduck

Jul 11, 2005
Hello ProxMox Team.
First of all: Great product. Thanks for this. We were searching for a solution, exactly as yours and found it. Works as announced:
Installed in 5 Minutes. Since then: Up and running - > Happy Users :D

Here are some questions regarding the functionality:

- Mailaddresses beginning with a dash ('-') are blocked by the gateway. But these are "correct", - although maybe not RFC compliant - Mailaddresses. Is there a way to let them pass? (From Inside to Outside)
- Will there be a future release in which i can take a more granular control over the greylisting parameters? Or can i do this right now by modding the configfiles directly. If yes - which ones for what, and how?
- Is there a more detailed and in depth documentation planned or in progress? Or would you advice us to read specific docs and articels from the components used? (e.g. Spamassassin / Greylisting). If yes - which ones would you advice, do you have a link-list? Unfortunately the Proxmox-Documentation is rather poor :(
I think product reliability has the focus in development, uh? 8)
Maybe this is really more important... :roll:

Hello pluckyduck!

First, thanx for your commendation. And here are some answers:

- Mail addresses with beginning '-' (dash) are not RFC conform. If you need it for some reason you can do this:

1) Login on the console (via ssh)
2) Open this file /var/lib/proxmox/templates/main.cf.in
3) And append the following line:
allow_min_user = yes
4) Now type proxconfig -s
5) And finally restard the mail server with /etc/init.d/postfix restart

We do not support this, we recommend RFC compliant e-mail adresses. Be aware: You have to do step 1-5 after every install, update or backup restore.

- Now, there is no way to change greylisting parameters. Why would you need it?

- We are currently working on a new version of the Admin Guide Documentation. It will be available soon. But if you like to do some individuall configuration for e.g. on spamassasin, then please read these specification. And YES, product reliability is more important than new fetures and/or a perfect documentation.

Further question are welcome.

regards
Christian

Hello Christian,

thanks for your quick answer.
The greylisting parameters, i am interested in are the values for the times that are used to classify the traffic.
- How long is an address whitelisted after a successful deliver?
- Is the second attempt to deliver a greylisted mail blocked for a specific time, before the second attempt is qualified as succesfull? I learned this may be a possible method to prevent spammers from simply delivering the mail twice instead of once?
Example: First attempt to deliver is greylisted. Second must be within 4 hours after the first attempt, but not before three minutes.
- Can i manually override/edit the database/file where the whitelisted addresses are stored?
- Can i manually modify these times, described above?

Hello pluckduck!

pluckyduck said:
- How long is an address whitelisted after a successful deliver?

After a successful delivery an adress is whitelisted for 32 days. A little bit longer than a month, because monthly e-mails like some newsletter, reminders or reports shouldn't be greylisted always.

pluckyduck said:
- Is the second attempt to deliver a greylisted mail blocked for a specific time, before the second attempt is qualified as succesfull? I learned this may be a possible method to prevent spammers from simply delivering the mail twice instead of once?
Example: First attempt to deliver is greylisted. Second must be within 4 hours after the first attempt, but not before three minutes.

Yes, the proxmox mail gateway use a timespan between 3 minutes and few days.

pluckyduck said:
- Can i manually override/edit the database/file where the whitelisted addresses are stored?

The only way to change something is to do it directly at the postgres sql database table. I'm realy intrested in why you want to change it. If you like more information, like table name and so on please let me know.

pluckyduck said:
- Can i manually modify these times, described above?

Now it is not possible to change these times. If you have problems with a sending mail server you can add it's IP to the greylist exclusion list. We don't see any advantage for you to change these times. But let me know if i'am wrong.

regards,
Christian

Hello Christian,

for now everything works fine. But you know. Sometimes situations arise when you have to tweak and finetune things you never thought about. 8)

I think the values you have choosen are pretty fine, and i don't have a need to change them right now. So i would say, in a quiet minute, when nothing else is to do but to watch the sun move the sky, you may sent me copy of the database description.

:D

Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!