blockdev-snapshot-sync to snapshot a raw file

The qemu internal snapshot is used for backups with PVE internal backup and PBS, so you don't need storage snapshot support, it will not be used either way. It just has the same name 'snapshot', but it's acutally something different.

FWIW This came up now in the mailing list:
https://lists.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-devel/2024-October/065677.html

No, you cannot tell me what I need. :) We are not 5 year old. I mean, you can try to persuade with showing a better way, but then it has to demonstrate how it is better.

Snapshot is just a term, I get it, it can have wider meanings. I actually suspect when the word snapshot first came to be, it was more in the sense of LVM thick. It's more of a checkpoint for copy-on-write model.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!