Block Proxmox host, but not VM, from WAN interface

special_case

Mar 9, 2022
I'm seeing attempted logins to the ssh server on my Proxmox host from the internet. Obviously not ideal.

Being new to Proxmox, I don't understand how network settings between the host and VMs interact. Specifically, does the Proxmox host need to know about the WAN interface in order for VMs to know about it? One of the VMs is my network gateway, running OPNsense. I configured the network interfaces through the Proxmox GUI and allocated access to the VMs through the GUI, so I don't know how to -- or if it's possible -- to restrict Proxmox to only the LAN interface while still allowing the VM to listen on the WAN.

I see that the Proxmox host and the OPNsense VM have two different DHCP IPv4s on the WAN interface. That makes sense. So it seems like firewall rules on OPNsense won't block traffic to Proxmox. I know Proxmox has its own firewall, will that affect traffic only to the Proxmox host, or to all the VMs too?

For now, I've told proxmox sshd to only listen on LAN, but I'd prefer to sever proxmox from the internet altogether.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!