[SOLVED] Blinking Cursor after Upgrade or fresh install & reboot (Hetzner AX51 Server)

Mar 1, 2019
We switched our PBS to its own dedicated server after trying it as a VM with a Hetzner Storage Box (way to slow to be usable in production). Installed from Hetzners provided PBS 2.0 iso.

Everything went really well, purchased a license, upgraded to 2.1.
Yesterday PBS showed an upgrade (i think it was a kernel upgrade), installed it -> only a blinking cursor after reboot.

After some rescue tries i decided to re-install (this time with the newest ISO directly from the Proxmox d/l site.
Same Problem: I install (ZFS-mirrored on 2 SSDs) PBS, reboot -> blinking cursor.

Could there be some incompatibilities with the AX Server introduced in the latest version? Any clues what to try to get it running?
(Will re-install the 2.0 version, but i am afraid to get stucked on it forever, and bricking the server through upgrading.)

Last edited:
I had a similar "challenge" on an old (circa 2013) SuperMicro with EFI (before UEFI I believe...) where both the PVE 7.1 and the PBS 2.1 installation ISOs (downloaded as at Wednesday 12 Jan22) somehow installed the GRUB too, instead of sticking to EFI... I eventually did a debug installation and before rebooting, used a chroot environment to remove the GRUB and let the proxmox-efi-boot utility fix things and I was able to boot, so yes, the detections in that part of the ISOs might be a tad problematic for some (old?) hardware

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!