BlackScreen after importing VM in Proxmox

noname01

Feb 6, 2024
Hello, I recently imported some VMs into my proxmox cluster, everything works fine except when I start the VM, the VM starts fine but I don't have a GUI and I have no idea (maybe drivers or something..) do you have any idea?

Thanks by advance

Hi,

The problem is on all the vm i imported, but this is the config of one i imported (to know, they was on Oracle Before the importing):

Code:
qm config 101
boot: order=scsi0;ide2;net0
cores: 2
cpu: x86-64-v2-AES
description: XXXX
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 2048
meta: creation-qemu=8.1.5,ctime=1711377891
name: web
net0: virtio=BC:24:11:76:24:81,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: l26
scsi0: local-lvm:vm-101-disk-0,iothread=1,size=63232M
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=587468dc-593b-42ed-88e1-d3721352b92e
sockets: 1
vmgenid: 884a50a1-3bc6-4c2f-bfe6-ece3777f6b47

I do Ctrl + Alt + F(x) and i can have an acces to the shell via tty(x)

I currently try to install a graphical environment, gonna update the thread

Im referring to the VM console, here, after the import, i only have a shell and not a graphical environment like in my native VM.

Yes in the VM
1711529495427.png

Stop VM, then in Proxmox GUI, go to VM, Hardware, change Display from Default to something else.

If this doesn't help, lets see if you can connect to the VM with a remote viewer.

This is what i said, i tried but it change nothing, even with a remote viewer i only have a shell access and no GUI

This is what i said, i tried but it change nothing, even with a remote viewer i only have a shell access and no GUI
I guess you also tried a SPICE setup - correctly.
You don't mention on what system & how this VM previously (before import) worked. But it would appear to be an issue/driver within the VM itself (don't know which Linux OS). Start there. Not a Proxmox problem.

Last edited:
Yes, it's a Debian 11 (Bullseye), which was on Hyper-V before the import

Ok, thanks for the lead !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!