Bios configuration for pass trough

NOIDSR

Mar 1, 2021
Hey guys, I am looking for a help to be able to use pass trough option for my VMs. I had everything working perfect before until one of my SDD failed (not proxmox) and in the process of troubleshooting we had to reset bios settings and to replace SSD. Unfortunatelly I did not save bios settings so I had to configure it again but for some reason it is not working. I followed proxmox instructions how to set up bios enabling some stuff but it still does not work while VMs work fine. My proxmox can be accessed trough web browser and my VMs are intact and I can run them on console but not pass trough.

My motherboard is Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X. It has onboard GPU and I also use 5500XT GPU.
If my monitor is connected to internal GPU I dont see bios while booting but I can see proxmox loading until log in. If my monitor is connected to an external GPU I can see bios loading and then it goes blank. If I run VM pass trough enabled I see blank screen.

Help would be much appreciated.
my current bios configuration attached. Thanks!

Here is the update: I learned that I have to have a monitor connected or dummy load to onboard GPU and it helped. I had to enable internal GPU in bios though. And now my VMs work with pass through. However, On the external GPU card monitor I dont see booting, I start seeing my VM on it when it is fully loaded. Something is still missing.

Last edited:
hey mate,. have you got any luck with proxmox doing this? im also looking for the same thing but it seems its a huge limitation from Proxmox. Really looking to move to an alternative HV system in case no solution in the horizon.

hey mate,. have you got any luck with proxmox doing this? im also looking for the same thing but it seems its a huge limitation from Proxmox. Really looking to move to an alternative HV system in case no solution in the horizon.
To be honest I don't remember what was the problem but dummy HDMI load helped and also I think I had to disable or enable something in BIOS. It migh have been disabling internal GPU. I had one server administrator helped me as I am very new in this. As everything with linux you have to be patent slowly mowing forward and eventually you get to the point you want. Proxmox is good to a very specific projects. My main reason was to run MACOS on it to test if I can have a good rendering VM machine and cost significantly less than same spec MAC. For me it worked out well.

Reactions: eminempt
Hi there. I see you. Yes, great usage.

So, i just found out what was wrong.

Since i have a CPU w/ no Graphical Processing Unit integrated, (therefore, i only have 1no. GPU), ProxMox Hypervisor was splitting the resources of my GPU for him, and for the VM.

even though i tried to force that not to happen pretty hard, it turns out, something was also missing, that comes as a suggestion on the Troubleshooting section for some problems that can occurr,(that weren't really occurring but somehow i could relate.

on the /etc/default/grub i should also add 'video=efifb:eek:ff'

it started working as it should right away.

my problem was i was having "Error 43".. i have change the drivers even though they were recent and there has been some changes at Nvidia whereas they now allow GPU passtrough to VMs. no luck with that.

all the other configurations for GPU Passtrough on Proxmox i've done it.

this was the missing point.

I'm pasting this here in case anyone is desperate like i was :)

Cheers

Marco

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!