[SOLVED] Binary not installed - ceph-mon (500)

dbakes

Mar 22, 2019
Hello,

Hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction, as I'm at a bit of loss.

I am having a play around with Proxmox with the aim to use it at our company, and so far am very impressed with everything I am seeing. However, I'm a bit stuck with trying to create a CephFS via the GUI.

I have a 3 node cluster, created using pvecm create etc, that has worked fine. I have then created a ceph cluster using pveceph install, pveceph init *CIDR*, pveceph createmon. This also has gone without issue. I then created an OSD on each node, and under the Ceph GUI I can see the 3 OSD's, status is 'HEALTH_OK' and all three monitors have a green tick.

However, if I click on Ceph > Configuration, the left pane just states "Error binary not installed: /usr/bin/ceph-mon (500)", and the right pane shows my Crush map.

If I then navigate to Ceph > CephFS, I am unable to use any options and just have a double stacked "Error binary not installed: /usr/bin/ceph-mon (500)" and so am unable to create the MDS.

I have read other threads that suggest re-running pveceph install, however this has no effect and just states all components are already installed.

If I run a whereis for ceph-mon, I get back:

ceph-mon: /usr/bin/ceph-mon /usr/share/man/man8/ceph-mon.8.gz

which would suggest it's where it should be.

Any ideas on how to move this forward?

Thanks

**Edit**

Forgot to mention this is Proxmox version 5.3-8

Last edited:
Hey there,

The current version at least for me is 5.3-11, which may or may not contain fixes for this issue?

Cheers

Thank you for the reply, however it seems unlikely that this is being caused by the minor version level?

Happy to be told I'm wrong though. I'm hoping somebody is reading this that knows what could be causing this consistent and repeatable issue..

** Edit **

For the absence of doubt I've upgraded all nodes to be on version 5.3-11 and still experiencing the same issue

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply, however it seems unlikely that this is being caused by the minor version level?

Well that's beside the point, the point here to determine if this was a bug, if so, could have already been fixed. Issues like this, devs typically ask to be on the latest PVE.

"Error binary not installed: /usr/bin/ceph-mon (500)" and so am unable to create the MDS.

At this point, searching the bugzilla to determine if it's been reported as a bug and the resolution or searching the code where the error is thrown, and determine from the logic what it's actually looking for.

EDIT:

ceph-mon: /usr/bin/ceph-mon /usr/share/man/man8/ceph-mon.8.gz

Come to think of it, what is the permission on the binary?

Hmm, did you install ceph via pveceph install on all 3 nodes in the cluster?
This could occur when you access the web interface from a node where no ceph is installed.

Reactions: aasami
Hmm, did you install ceph via pveceph install on all 3 nodes in the cluster?
This could occur when you access the web interface from a node where no ceph is installed.

You've got it!

I have a 4 node cluster, the ceph cluster is running on nodes 2-4 and I have been accessing the web interface from node 1. Once I accessed the web interface from the IP of the second node, all the ceph options were available.

Thank you for your pointers.

This got fixed with the latest packages.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!