Best way to setup a virtualized router

thimplicity

Feb 4, 2022
Hi,
I have a mini PC on the way from China and plan to install 3 things on there:

- pfsense as our router
- pi-hole
- home bridge

I plan To install 8GB ram and a 256gb NVMe drive in it. My question is: What is the best way to initialize proxmox with the correct sizes for local and local-lvm? Is there an option to influence both during the installation or do I need to fiddle around with adjusting partition sizes after the fact? Can I create snapshots on one of those two or do I need a third partition?

Thanks

Is there an option to influence both during the installation or do I need to fiddle around with adjusting partition sizes after the fact?
LVM was invented to not fiddle around with partition sizes. That is the whole point of it. So, if you want to go the LVM route, just do a normal install.

Can I create snapshots on one of those two or do I need a third partition?
Again, no partions. Just install with lvm-thin as the underlying storage and you're golden.

LVM was invented to not fiddle around with partition sizes. That is the whole point of it. So, if you want to go the LVM route, just do a normal install.

Again, no partions. Just install with lvm-thin as the underlying storage and you're golden.
Thanks, will check that out! Would that enable me to use the whole disk?

Thanks, will check that out! Would that enable me to use the whole disk?
Partitions where use to
a) have a boot (BIOS-boot or EFI) partition
b) if a) then divide the rest of the space to a volume manager like LVM or ZFS
otherwise, partitions are obsolete and useless.

So to your anwser: Yes use the whole disk as a physical volume for your volume group.

Side note - what mini pc? What NICs does it have?

Just to warn if they are not Intel ones, you’re going to have problems with pfsense throughput otherwise.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!