best way to install with current hardware

incheyeg

Sep 9, 2017
Proxmox newb here :)

I have a dell precision T3500, quad core xeon 5500 proc and 20 gb RAM. I have 1 256GB SSD and 3 sata 500 gb disks. I don't have a hardware raid controller but I have heard ZFS can be just as good as a hardware controller if leveraged correctly? I would like a Raid 5 with the 3 500gb drives but I'm open to suggestions to do something else if it makes sense. I have also heard that I should use the SDD for read cache for the ZFS raid. Can anyone advise on what would be the best way to install Proxmox? Can I partition my SSD to be my proxmox install disk and my read cache for the ZFS raid? do I also need to create a partition on SSD for linux swap? If I can partition it, what size should I make the partitions?

All I really want to do is run a couple of VM's so that I don't need to reboot when I want to use Win 10 and ubuntu 1604... I also have a WD Mycloud that I could use for a backup disk and the mycloud does a backup to a my passport disk.

If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it :)

Ideally I'd like to use the hardware I have as I'm low on cash at the moment

I took the plunge and installed proxmox on the 3 x 500gb disks with RAIDZ-1 I have ran the zpool status command and the pool looks fine. Considering I now have proxmox on the spinners whats the best way to use the SSD?

Go on help a newb :)

Your hardware isnt really suited for what Proxmox is for, but I'll try to address your questions as asked:

I don't have a hardware raid controller but I have heard ZFS can be just as good as a hardware controller if leveraged correctly?
Generally speaking, ZFS is superior to hardware RAID but costs CPU time and RAM. This is discussed ad-nauseum everywhere on the web including here: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/zfs-vs-hardware-raid.30243/

I would like a Raid 5 with the 3 500gb drives but I'm open to suggestions to do something else if it makes sense.
depends on what you want the storage for. with 3 drives your options are very limited.

I have also heard that I should use the SDD for read cache for the ZFS raid.
CAREFULLY read what "they" said, especially the leap from "can" to "should." If you cant remember where you heard this, look here: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/zfs-with-ssds-am-i-asking-for-a-headache-in-the-near-future.25967/

Can anyone advise on what would be the best way to install Proxmox?
Sounds like you got this one figured out.

Can I partition my SSD to be my proxmox install disk and my read cache for the ZFS raid?
Its possible, but dont. re-read where you heard that you should use SSD for ZFS caching.

do I also need to create a partition on SSD for linux swap?
you can, but dont- unless you're starving for RAM. swap on SSD will eat through your SSD's write endurance.

All I really want to do is run a couple of VM's so that I don't need to reboot when I want to use Win 10 and ubuntu 1604
For this use case, you far better off running your most common operating system on the metal, and the other VMs in virtualbox/hyperv.

Reactions: incheyeg
Your hardware isnt really suited for what Proxmox is for, but I'll try to address your questions as asked:

Generally speaking, ZFS is superior to hardware RAID but costs CPU time and RAM. This is discussed ad-nauseum everywhere on the web including here: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/zfs-vs-hardware-raid.30243/

depends on what you want the storage for. with 3 drives your options are very limited.

CAREFULLY read what "they" said, especially the leap from "can" to "should." If you cant remember where you heard this, look here: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/zfs-with-ssds-am-i-asking-for-a-headache-in-the-near-future.25967/

Sounds like you got this one figured out.

Its possible, but dont. re-read where you heard that you should use SSD for ZFS caching.

you can, but dont- unless you're starving for RAM. swap on SSD will eat through your SSD's write endurance.

For this use case, you far better off running your most common operating system on the metal, and the other VMs in virtualbox/hyperv.

Thanks for taking the time and the links you sent.

So by the looks of it the best way to use proxmox on my existing hardware would be the way I have it set up now

I know for only a few VM's I'd be better off using win 2016 and hyperv but to be honest I hate windows and ESX isn't free so I'd rather use proxmox as I want to learn linux more :)

so is there anything that the SSD can be used for? I have installed Proxmox on the 3 spinners as Raid Z so what can I now use my SSD for?

could I maybe use it for my VM's to live on?

any advice would be really appreciated. I'm testing out proxmox on my home system but I have dell server in work that I plan to install proxmox on so this is just a test before taking the plunge.

Thanks for taking the time and the links you sent.

So by the looks of it the best way to use proxmox on my existing hardware would be the way I have it set up now

I know for only a few VM's I'd be better off using win 2016 and hyperv but to be honest I hate windows and ESX isn't free so I'd rather use proxmox as I want to learn linux more :)

so is there anything that the SSD can be used for? I have installed Proxmox on the 3 spinners as Raid Z so what can I now use my SSD for?

any advice would be really appreciated. I'm testing out proxmox on my home system but I have dell server in work that I plan to install proxmox on so this is just a test before taking the plunge.
Hi,
most things are explained by alexskysilk - one thing I see different: it's allways an good idea to use proxmox ve for virtualization.
You can learn a lot!

About the ssd: what kind of SSD is it? I assume consumer grade?!
In this case use the SSD as different storage (lvm/directory) for testing.

Udo

Hi,
most things are explained by alexskysilk - one thing I see different: it's allways an good idea to use proxmox ve for virtualization.
You can learn a lot!

About the ssd: what kind of SSD is it? I assume consumer grade?!
In this case use the SSD as different storage (lvm/directory) for testing.

Udo
Udo it's a crucial CT256MX100SSD1 most likely consumer grade as I didn't break the bank for it :)

I know for only a few VM's I'd be better off using win 2016 and hyperv but to be honest I hate windows and ESX isn't free so I'd rather use proxmox as I want to learn linux more
Well, I completely appreciate and endorse your learning Linux, but there is more then one way to skin a cat. you dont need windows server to run hyper-v; you can run hyper-v OR virtualbox on windows 7-10 without issue. Also, vsphere IS free for 2 sockets or less if you dont need any HA/DRS features (which you dont) but thats academic- I wouldnt recommend vsphere over proxmox in this case anyway.

Depending on what you're using Windows for, running it in a VM doesnt always yield good results (eg graphic/video editing, games.) If you want to to that, keep the SSD to run windows for dual boot. you can also use it for your proxmox boot device. You certainly can keep vdisks on it if you'd like- your zpool will be really slow by comparison.

Reactions: incheyeg

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!