best way to cluster and migrate containers

si458

Renowned Member
Hi All.

I'm hoping for everyone's views and everyone's opinions on this

I currently have 5 proxmox servers all running separately (not in cluster) and I want to start managing them all from 1 panel and do migrations, backups, etc...

currently I have an old NAS box which I use for NFS storage which contains ISO's, Backups, Templates, etc...

they machines all currently backup fine every night via NFS to the NAS box... (takes few hours but works fine)

I want to be able to manage the servers via the Single panel, do migrations with almost zero downtime (dont mind a min or 2 downtime because the upgrades, etc, would all be done over night, e.g. 2am)

the only thing i can think is at the moment all the servers have containers and VMs running on them!

however clever me made sure the IDs of each container/VM was never used on another machine so there all unique! ;)

what would be the best way of me doing this ???

(NOTE i have 1 spare server doing nothing so i can put it into standalone mode to move the containers all off the servers if i need to start them afresh)

Regards

Simon

You will need to create a cluster by freeing up one server (move all containers to an existing cluster member)at a time and adding it to the cluster.

Live migration works fine between cluster members with minimal downtime but no HA.

You will need to create a cluster by freeing up one server (move all containers to an existing cluster member)at a time and adding it to the cluster.

Live migration works fine between cluster members with minimal downtime but no HA.

Hi, Thanks for you suggestion, I will give this a go

BUT how do i migrate VM machines?

I can migrate openvz containers fine, but Im not too sure how to migrate my KVM machines over?

Simon

Hi, Thanks for you suggestion, I will give this a go

BUT how do i migrate VM machines?

I can migrate openvz containers fine, but Im not too sure how to migrate my KVM machines over?

Simon

Probably using backup & restore... I havent checked though. I actually just copy over the .conf file and the disk image (while the machine is shut down)

Hi all,
Update progress:
I moved all my container off there machines one by one onto the spare server
Joined the servers into cluster
And it completely fell apart!
Was very unhappy :(
Thankfully I took backups via nfs and did these migrates out of office hours 2am
Every time I restarted a machine for say updates, the others just lost sync and couldn't talk to the others!
Also the web panel was so so slow!!!
I am using a mikrotik gigabit switch between the servers and i enabled the multicast that was required but still wasn't having it :(
So sadly I had to revert back to single servers until I can find out what the problem was!
Regards
Simon

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!