Best solution for shared storage

M

M@s

Hi! I just set up Proxmox and this is my first time ever with virtualization. In my machine I have two physical hard drives, partitioned as:

Disk 1:
1. Proxmox system partition
2. Storage partition for VM:s

Disk 2:
- Backup/storage disk

Now I want the content of disk 2 to be accessible from all the VM:s on this machine, without wrapping it into a virtual drive. My plan is to use it as backup for both the VM:s on disk 1 and for other content. What's the best way of doing this? Do I have to install an iSCSI/NFS share on the Proxmox server? All built in local sharing solutions I find seem to involve creating virtual drives.

A nfs or cifs share would be your best bet, especially if you want to access the files from outside the vm's

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk

I am also new in Proxmox world. Is anyone could explain me in detail how do I do this ? I have the same situation - one drive holds proxmox and the other I like to use as VM storage and access from the network

Masood

If i had multiple VM's sharing the same files from drive 2
1) create a KVM on Drive one.
2) install openmediavault (or any other NAS) on it.
3) pass drive 2 to said VM
4) share that drive (or its pools) via NFS protocol to all VM's running on it.
Proxmox-wiki and the NAS-wiki(s) will help

If i'd were to have multiple VM's just storing different Data (as in not the same files) on Disk 2, i would:
1) create a KVM/LXC with a small vDisk on Disk 1 (this houses OS + bootloader)
2) Create a second vDisk located on Disk2.
3) profit.

However. If only Backup is needed (ie drive 2 or external USB)
1) configure selected backup drive for Backups in Proxmox (wiki will help)
2) i'd run all VM's and content on Drive 1.
3) Use Proxmox Backup sheduler and back them (and their content) to the backup drive (then you have true backups

If i had multiple VM's sharing the same files from drive 2
1) create a KVM on Drive one.
2) install openmediavault (or any other NAS) on it.
3) pass drive 2 to said VM
4) share that drive (or its pools) via NFS protocol to all VM's running on it.

If i'd were to have multiple VM's just storing different Data (as in not the same files) on Disk 2, i would:
1) create a KVM/LXC with a small vDisk on Disk 1 (this houses OS + bootloader)
2) Create a second vDisk located on Disk2.
3) profit.

However. If only Backup is needed (ie drive 2 or external USB)
1) configure selected backup drive for Backups in Proxmox (wiki will help)
2) i'd run all VM's and content on Drive 1.
3) Use Proxmox Backup sheduler and back them (and their content) to the backup drive (then you have true backups

Little confused now. The second drive I have, I will be using as a storage for the VMs. and also be using to storage files from the network using backup software. how do I make the second drive to be used as a storage for VM and for the backup.

in "Datacenter" > "Storage"

you either already have a entry for your second disk or you need to create it.

when you click "edit" on that you will get a interface similar to this one:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/File:Screen-Add-Backup-ISO-Storage.png

Then in that "Content" dropdown menu you select what "type" of data you wanna store.

if you want to store backups on it, you select "VZDump backup file". Then t the right you can specify the number of backups you can store for an instance before it will recycle the first backup.

Then to actually make the backups you go to "datacenter" > "Backup" and add your sheduled backups.

If your only looking for manual triggered backups you do that via "Datacenter" > Node-Name > VM-ID/Number > backup.

I just want to make the second drive as storage drive for VM and start using as storage. how do I do it ? The second drive has to be shared as NFS or SCSI to be viewed over the network

in "Datacenter" > "Storage"

you either already have a entry for your second disk or you need to create it.

when you click "edit" on that you will get a interface similar to this one:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/File:Screen-Add-Backup-ISO-Storage.png

Then in that "Content" dropdown menu you select what "type" of data you wanna store.

if you want to store backups on it, you select "VZDump backup file". Then t the right you can specify the number of backups you can store for an instance before it will recycle the first backup.

Then to actually make the backups you go to "datacenter" > "Backup" and add your sheduled backups.

If your only looking for manual triggered backups you do that via "Datacenter" > Node-Name > VM-ID/Number > backup.
I just want to make the second drive as storage drive for VM and start using as storage. how do I do it ? The second drive has to be shared as NFS or SCSI to be viewed over the network

I do not have entry for the second drive in proxmox. But the server does on a different Raid. how do you add drive in Proxmox storage ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!