Best redundancy/backup option for 2 nodes?

Kevo

May 7, 2017
I have two servers, both with 2 drives, 1 SSD and 1 Spinning disk.

Right now I have them setup with VMs and containers running on the SSDs and the HDDs used for backups. This works fine for our needs as it's mostly stuff for our office running on them and a hour or so of downtime during business hours isn't a large concern right now. So we don't really require any more hardware than we have right now.

I saw the new replication feature and thought that would be nice way to backup one server to the other in case of a hardware failure. It seems unless I cluster the two servers I can't use replication, and also it seems 3 servers is the recommended minimum for a cluster.

I was wondering if anyone had any good experiences with a two server cluster and is that something I should consider, or should I just set up some rsync job between the two servers to move the backup files over to the other server, or some other arrangement I haven't managed to think of yet? TIA

You need three nodes for the quorum to work properly, if you want HA. IF not, a 2 node cluster could probably work if you don't mind moving VM's manually after a host node fails.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!