Best practices for setting up physical disks

Hazmat480

Dec 2, 2019
I have an HP server that is setup with a raid 50 6.2TB logical volume, 8 - 1.2TB drives. I am wondering what the best way to partition for PVE would be. Should I let the install use it as one large volume or should I create a small volume for the PVE install and then create multiple smaller volumes after install with the free disk space. I can also change the RAID volume if that is better as well. This is for a home server environment Thank you for the feedback.

Last edited:
I setup proxmox servers from installing a Debian 10 server (which allows me to partition as i see fit) and then moving to proxmox.
This gave me the freedom to lay out partitions as i wanted .. below my partition-layout :

• 500M boot (xfs) – primary partition
  • 20Gb root (xfs) – primary partition
  • 32 Gb swap – primary partition
As i use LVM to offer local storage (just a tiny portion, as the rest is on a MSA2040 SAS (2 shelves, 48x 600Gb disks) , totalling 21 Tb storage to ProxMox)i have configured this at a later stage with default LVM tools.
The shares disks are confiured as GFS2, and offered to ProxMox as mountpoints on the local system.

the procedure of startingt our with a debbian box and then moving to ProxMox is found on their Wiki here : https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Buster

I am wondering what the best way to partition for PVE would be.

This is a technicality, but why partition at all if you just can use LVM for everything? Your question is about separation of concerns and that is always a good idea. @Glowsome already shared a standard setup. The default PVE installer also uses a LVM based approach to do exactly that, but you cannot influence it as much as a PVE-on-top-of-Debian-Install.

Reactions: Glowsome

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!