Best practices for one public IP?

CGC

May 25, 2023
I have a system with a single public IP and I'm looking for the right method to set up multiple VMs behind it.

This isn't a system behind NAT, it's a colo with a public IPv4 address. It has an IPv6 prefix available but I am not going there just yet, first job is solving for IPv4.

I found this link and started into it, mostly because it showed what to do in terms of bridges, which my prior VirtualBox solution would have also referred to as bridge when there's a physical interface, but the term "Host-only network" would be applied to the internal setup.

https://wiki.abyssproject.net/en/proxmox/proxmox-with-one-public-ip

I see a LOT of firewall fiddling near the end and I immediately dislike this.

I've had systems like this in the past, not with Proxmox, and the answer there was installing nginx on the host for reverse proxy duty. This still seems like the best approach to me. Everything I intend to run on this system will happily do its job behind nginx.

Is there some canonical all cases explored page for how to do stuff like this?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!