Best practice to update Windows VM for linked clones

fmarzocca

Sep 18, 2019
Once created a "main" VM we keep it alone to embed Windows updates. Then we clone this into a "service" VM which we convert into a Template to deploy Linked Clones.
Now, what is the Best Practice to update WIndows OS for the Linked CLones?

So you want to update all linked clones?
You need to understand first what means linked clones:
Temaplate virtual disk is used into each related clone. What is added after cloning procces it's writed into a different part on the disk so dosen't exist any relation between link_clone1 and link_clone2 only base virtual disk who contain win and probably other tools (np++ chrome..)

I know only 2 solution for your problem:

1.Manualy on each vm (you can create a snapshot because some win update can create low performance exp for some bussines aplication)
2.Automation. You can create a shell script who can be embeded into all templates and who can be run after that by some automated procces
(ex Ansible, Operation Orchestration by HP (Microfocus in present) or other solution )

Reactions: guletz
Hi bit2gb, thanks for your answer.
As I wrote in another thread, I realize that ProxMox is definitely NOT a solution for a VDI deployment.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!